UIC Volleyball Opens Fall Camp
Aug. 11, 2014
CHICAGO - The 2014 UIC volleyball program welcomed 12 players back to campus Monday (August 11) as the team begins fall camp. The Flames will practice for the next 17 days before heading to Huntington, W.Va. for the start of their 2014 campaign. The regular season opener against Virginia at Marshall's Thunder Invitational is set for August 29.
NOTABLES HEADING INTO 2014 SEASON
• UIC is prepping for its 44th volleyball season. The Flames enter the 2014 campaign with 834 all-time wins, including 560 victories at the NCAA Division I level.
• UIC is entering its 21st year as a member of the Horizon League. The Flames joined the League prior to the 1994-95 season.
• UIC returns seven letterwinners from the 2013 campaign, including three seniors in Sara Sternard (763 career kills), Maggie Strus (1,250 career digs) and Molly McCoy (479 career kills). Sternard, a 2013 All-League selection, ranks third in program history with a .282 career attack percentage and Strus needs 282 digs to become UIC’s all-time dig leader.
• The Flames added transfer Stephenee Yancy, who spent the last two seasons with Western Michigan. A 6-foot-2 middle blocker, Yancy put down 469 kills over 50 matches with the Broncos. Yancy was named the 2012 MAC Freshman of the Year and was selected to join the 2013 USA Volleyball High Performance Indoor Women’s Junior A1 National Training Team Program.
• UIC head coach Katie Schumacher-Cawley brought in three freshmen in Angela Evans (Elkins Park, Pa.), Kyisha Hunt (Kankakee, Ill.) and Allie O'Reilly (Elgin, Ill.). Evans is a 6-foot-0 middle blocker, Hunt is a 5-foot-10 outside hitter and O’Reilly is a 5-foot-4 defensive specialist.
• The 2014 schedule features 12 home matches and the annual UIC Invitational in mid-September. The Flames will also make non-conference tournament trips to Marshall and defending-national champions Penn State prior to the beginning of Horizon League play. The Flames will play seven contests against in-state opponents and begin Horizon League action on Sept. 26, when UIC travels to Milwaukee, an NCAA tournament participant in 2013.