Women's Tennis Downed By #18 Arizona State, 4-0, In NCAA Play|
May 10, 2003
Tempe, Ariz. - The UIC women's tennis team closed out a fantastic season on Saturday afternoon in the desert of Arizona, as the Flames were downed by #18 Arizona State, 4-0, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe.
Arizona State grabbed the doubles point in a hurry with Mhairi Brown and Cindy Sureephong beating Ayca Gumuscu and Molly Smith, 8-3. In the No.3 match, the team of Joslynn Burkett and Megan Yeats defeated UIC's Athanasia Giannoulopoulou and Zvjezdana Malesevic, 8-2.
In singles play it was more of the same for the Sun Devils as the nation's seventh-ranked player Adria Engel downed UIC's Nicole Derouin in the No.1 singles match, 6-0, 6-1. Dora Krstulovic beat Gumuscu, 7-5, 6-0, at No.2 singles, while ASU added the final victory in the fourth slot, with Sureephong defeating Malesevic, 6-1, 6-1.
The Flames finish the ledger at 17-7 and as Horizon League Champions for the seventh consecutive season.
Fresno State defeated San Diego State in the other first round match-up, which sets up a second round affair between ASU and the Bulldogs on Sunday.
1. #7 Adria Engel (ASU) def. Nicole Derouin (UIC), 6-0, 6-1
2. #56 Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. Ayca Gumuscu (UIC), 7-5, 6-0
3. Mhairi Brown (ASU) vs. Corey Steven (UIC) DNF (Brown leading 6-3, 2-1)
4. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Zvjezdana Malesevic (UIC), 6-1, 6-1
5. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) vs. Molly Smith (UIC) DNF (Colalillo leading 7-5, 2-1)
6. Joslynn Burkett (ASU) vs. Athanasia Giannoulopoulou (UIC) DNF (Burkett Leading 4-6, 6-1, 3-0)
1. Colalillo/Engel (ASU) vs. Derouin (UIC), DNF (ASU leading 5-3)
2. Brown/Sureephong (ASU) def. Gumuscu/Smith (UIC), 8-3
3. Burkett/Yeats (ASU) def. Giannoulopoulou/Malesevic (UIC), 8-2