March 29, 2013
GRIFFITH, Ind. - The UIC women's tennis team (11-4, 3-0 HL) advanced its streak to 146-consecutive conference wins while defeating Milwaukee and Green Bay in a set of Horizon League matches Friday at Match Point Tennis. The Flames first took down the Panthers, 6-1, before coming back to sweep the Phoenix, 7-0.
Through the two matches, UIC combined for six doubles wins and 11 singles wins, with nine coming in straight sets.
Against Milwaukee, the Flames took the first point after coming away with all three doubles matches. Haley Craig and Mariana Palacios were back in action and combined for an 8-5 win at No. 1 against Maddy Soule and Christian Colarossi.
Kathryn Sharples and Jana Knoppe captured an 8-4 win over Kelly Fritz and Dana Shannon at No. 2, while Natalia Kuvakina and Ann-Sophie Hahn claimed an 8-3 victory against Chelsea Bailey and Brittany Skemp at No. 3.
Into singles, UIC had three straight-set wins and combined for five total wins. Palacios had a quick 6-1, 6-1 win over Fritz at No. 2, as Knoppe took out Colarossi, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 5 and Keti Mebuke bested Kristin Kurer, 6-1, 6-3 at No. 6.
Kuvakina was down in her first set with Shannon at No. 3 before coming back for the 2-6, 6-3, 10-4 win, while Sharples took her first set against Bailey at No. 4, fell in the second, but was able to secure a 6-2, 3-6, 10-3 win after the third. Craig also went to three sets in her match with Soule at No. 1, but ultimately dropped a 0-6, 6-3, 6-4 decision.
The Flames pushed over momentum into their next match with Green Bay, where they swept the courts in every match and did not allow the Phoenix to score more than two points in doubles or singles.
Beginning in doubles, Craig and Palacios returned to No. 1 and took an 8-2 victory over Amanda Timm and Rebecca Nelson, as 8-1 decisions were won by Sharples and Knoppe over Maria Anderson and Samantha Iwen at No. 2 and by Kuvakina and Mebuke against Stephanie Londre and Rachael Menos at No. 3.
UIC had a strong showing in singles and was able to quickly take all six matches. Palacios moved up to No. 1 for the first time this season and claimed a 6-1, 6-0 win over Timm. Also coming out on top of 6-1, 6-0 finals, Sharples defeated Anderson at No. 3 and Hahn took down Eleanor O'Brien at No. 6.
Mebuke was able to have a similar match at No. 5, with a 6-0, 6-1 win against Iwen. Kuvakina came in at No. 2 to take a 6-1, 6-1 victory from Londre and Knoppe rounded out singles after tallying a 6-1, 6-2 win versus Nelson.
The Flames return to competition Saturday, April 6, when they host Detroit at 11 a.m. (CT) at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts, weather permitting.
UIC 6, UWM 1
1. Maddy Soule (UWM) def. Haley Craig (UIC) 0-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Kelly Fritz (UWM) 6-1, 6-1
3. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) def. Dana Shannon (UWM) 2-6, 6-3, 10-4
4. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Chelsea Bailey (UWM) 6-2, 3-6, 10-3
5. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Christina Colarossi (UWM) 6-3, 6-0
6. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Kristin Kurer (UWM) 6-1, 6-3
1. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Maddy Soule/Christina Colarossi (UWM) 8-5
2. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Kelly Fritz/Dana Shannon (UWM) 8-4
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Chelsea Bailey/Brittany Skemp (UWM) 8-3
UIC 7, UWGB 0
1. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Amanda Timm (UWGB) 6-1, 6-0
2. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) def. Stephanie Londre (UWGB) 6-1, 6-1
3. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Maria Anderson (UWGB) 6-1, 6-0
4. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Rebecca Nelson (UWGB) 6-1, 6-2
5. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Samantha Iwen (UWGB) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Eleanor O'Brien (UWGB) 6-1, 6-0
1. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Amanda Timm/Rebecca Nelson (UWGB) 8-2
2. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Maria Anderson/Samantha Iwen (UWGB) 8-1
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Stephanie Londre/Rachael Menos (UWGB) 8-1