March 27, 2013
GRIFFITH, Ind. - With two players down, the UIC women's tennis team (9-4, 1-0 HL) was unable to fend off Akron at Match Point Tennis Wednesday. The Flames fell 7-0, while Keti Mebuke and Ann-Sophie Hahn took their singles matches to three sets.
The Zips came in to take the first point after only two matches were played and No. 3 was won by default. Kathryn Sharples and Jana Knoppe moved into the No. 1 position and took their match against Angelina Jogasuria and Olga Shkundina to the tiebreaker, but ultimately fell 9-8 (7).
Natalia Kuvakina and Hahn were combined at No. 2 and extended their match before dropping a 9-7 decision to Prang Pantusart and Angelika Jogasuria.
Moving into singles, UIC rotated up from its usual positions and went without a competitor at No. 6. Mebuke won her first set against Angelika Jogasuria at No. 4, and was close in her following sets, before falling 3-6, 7-5, 10-7, as Hahn also won her first set at No. 5 before going down 3-6, 6-0, 10-3 to Berestetska.
Competing at No. 1 for the second time this season, Kuvakina was unable to outlast Shkundina and suffered a 6-1, 6-2 loss. Sharples was at No. 2 for the first time and was bested by Angelina Jogasuria, 6-0, 6-3, as Knoppe competed at No. 3 and lost her match to Pantusart in a 6-3, 6-2 final.
The Flames are back to the courts at Match Point Tennis Friday, when they host Milwaukee at 11 a.m. (CT) and Green Bay at 4 p.m.
Akron 7, UIC 0
1. Olga Shkundina (AKRON) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Angelina Jogasuria (AKRON) def. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 6-0, 6-3
3. Prang Pantusart (AKRON) def. Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Angelika Jogasuria (AKRON) def. Keti Mebuke (UIC) 3-6, 7-5, 10-7
5. Ksenia Berestetska (AKRON) def. Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) 3-6, 6-0, 10-3
6. AKRON won by default
1. Angelina Jogasuria/Olga Shkundina (AKRON) def. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) 9-8 (7)
2. Prang Pantusart/Angelika Jogasuria (AKRON) def. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) 9-7
3. Ksenia Berestetska/Madison Cohen (AKRON) won by default