March 23, 2013
SPRINGBORO, Ohio - The UIC women's tennis team (8-3, 1-0 HL) came away with its 144th-consecutive conference win after opening Horizon League competition with a 6-1 defeat of Wright State at South Regency Tennis Center Saturday. The Flames claimed the doubles point and went on to take five singles matches.
The first point of the day was decided after UIC took wins at No. 1 and 2 doubles. Haley Craig and Mariana Palacios captured an 8-2 win over Taylor Hines and Amy Nini at No. 1, as Jana Knoppe and Natalia Kuvakina joined for the first time in the dual season to defeat Alex Bastock and Megan McNamara, 9-8, at No. 2.
Also combining for the first time this season, Ann-Sophie Hahn and Kathryn Sharples were unable to come away from Chelsea Girgash and Kayla Tuscany at No. 3, as they fell 8-6.
In singles, the Flames were able to pull away from the Raiders and take five straight-set wins. Going undefeated on the day, Palacios took down Bastock, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 1, Kuvakina bested Nini, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 3 and Knoppe claimed a 6-0, 6-3 win over Girgash at No. 5.
Other wins for UIC came from Sharples at No. 4, where she came away with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Hines, and Keti Mebuke at No. 6, where she nearly blanked Liz Steingass with a 6-0, 6-1 victory.
Craig competed at No. 1 against Tuscany and took the match to three sets before ultimately falling 3-6, 6-2, 10-2.
The Flames are back in action with Butler Sunday morning at the Butler Bubble in Indianapolis, Ind. Competition is set to get underway at 11 a.m. (CT).
UIC 6, Wright State 1
1. Kayla Tuscany (WSU) def. Haley Craig (UIC) 3-6, 6-2, 10-2
2. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Alex Bastock (WSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) def. Amy Nini (WSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Taylor Hines (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Chelsea Girgash (WSU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Liz Steingass (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Taylor Hines/Amy Nini (WSU) 8-2
2. Jana Knoppe/Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) def. Alex Bastock/Megan McNamara (WSU) 9-8
3. Chelsea Girgash/Kayla Tuscany (WSU) def. Ann-Sophie Hahn/Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 8-6