March 16, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – Junior Mariana Palacios captured a straight-set win for her eighth-consecutive singles victory of the season, as the UIC women’s tennis team (7-2) fell to Wisconsin, 6-1, Saturday at Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
The Badgers took the first point after sweeping doubles. Haley Craig and Palacios fell in a tight match with Hannah Berner and Lauren Chypyha at No. 1, 8-6, as Jana Knoppe and Kathryn Sharples went down at No. 2 to Katie Hoch and Anastasia Tripolskay, 8-2. Natalia Kuvakina and Ann-Sophie Hahn lost their first doubles match of the season after being defeated, 8-6, at No. 3 by Helen Rabot and Lauren Burich.
Palacios took the lone win of the day for the Flames, as Wisconsin came in to win five singles matches. Palacios came in with her eighth-straight win to improve to 8-1 on the season with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Hoch at No. 3.
Craig and Keti Mebuke had each of their matches go to three sets. Craig made a comeback in her second set at No. 1 with Berner, but ultimately fell 6-3, 3-6, 6-1. At No. 6, Mebuke went to the tiebreaker in the second and extended the third, before suffering a 6-3, 6-7 (1-7), 10-8 loss.
Kuvakina (No. 2) and Knoppe (No. 5) both dropped 6-1, 6-2 decisions to their respective opponents of Chypyha and Tripolskay, as Sharples was taken out by Burich at No. 4.
The Flames make a quick trip home to host Bowling Green at Match Point Tennis in Griffith, Ind., at 10 a.m. (CT) Sunday.
Wisconsin 6, UIC 1
1. Hannah Berner (WIS) def. Haley Craig (UIC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Katie Hoch (WIS) 6-3, 6-3
4. Lauren Burich (WIS) def. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 6-4, 6-4
5. Anastasia Tripolskay (WIS) def. Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Helen Rabot (WIS) def. Keti Mebuke (UIC) 6-3, 6-7 (1-7), 10-8
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 3, 1, 4, 6
1. Hannah Berner/Lauren Chypyha (WIS) def. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) 8-6
2. Katie Hoch/Anastasia Tripolskay (WIS) def. Jana Knoppe/Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 8-2
3. Helen Rabot/Lauren Burich (WIS) def. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2