Women's Tennis Defeats Illinois State on Sunday
March 15, 2010
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. - The UIC women’s tennis team defeated in-state opponent Illinois State 5-2 on Sunday afternoon at the Evergreen Racquet Courts.
In doubles play, the Flames secured the doubles point winning all three matches, giving them the 1-0 advantage heading into singles play.
Mariya Kovaleva surrender just two points in her match win over Aniko Kiss. Kovaleva took set one 6-2 and finished Kiss off with a 6-0 set two win to earn a point for UIC.
At the third seeded match, Kristen McPhillips over took Franziska Steinhardt in two hard fought sets. McPhillips won set one by the score of 7-5 and took set two by the same score.
Elena Antakova defeated Natalia Lech in two straight sets, taking set one 6-2 and winning set two in a tiebreaker 7-6 (11-9).
Jenna Reisch rounded out the scoring for the Flames, beating Maria Occhipinti 7-5 in set one and 6-1 in set one at the sixth seeded match.
UIC will begin conference play when they travel to Milwaukee Wis. to take on Horizon League opponent Milwaukee on Saturday, March 20 at 5:30 p.m.
1. Mariya Kovaleva/Kristen McPhillips (UIC) def. Steinhardt,Franziska/Zubkova, Julia (ILS) 8-5
2. Ilinca Cristescu/Elena Antakova (UIC) def. Kiss, Aniko/Lech, Natalia (ILS) 8-5
3. Amy Jellish/Jenna Reisch (UIC) def. Esker, Hannah/Peters, Carmen (ILS) 8-6
Fans can listen to podcasts featuring exclusive interviews with UIC head coaches, staff and student-athletes in two ways:
1. Download the free UIC Athletics Widget and click on the "UIC Flames Podcasts" link
2. Download podcasts for free on iTunes by searching "UIC Flames."
Fans wishing to learn more about affordable and flexible UIC ticket plans are encouraged to call 312-413-UIC1 or visit www.uicflames.com and click on the "Tickets" tab on the Flames home page.