March 9, 2013
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Beginning the match with a sweep in doubles, the UIC women's tennis team (7-1) carried over its momentum into singles to extend its current win streak to seven after coming out on top of a 6-1 decision against Northern Illinois at Boylan Tennis Courts Saturday.
The Flames doubles pairings were able to come up big with three straight wins to garner the first point of the meet. Haley Craig and Mariana Palacios took No. 1 from Nelle Youel and Arantza De La Torre, 8-7.
Kathryn Sharples and Jana Knoppe combined at No. 2 for an 8-2 win over Haley Dekkinga and Stephanie McDonald, while Natalia Kuvakina and Ann-Sophie Hahn continued to stay undefeated this season with an 8-4 victory at No. 3 against Mary Malkin and Cristina Alvarez.
In singles, UIC captured five wins, with three coming in straight sets. The Flames won at No. 2-6 positions, in addition to an exhibition match.
Palacios came away with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 3 against De La Torre for her seventh win of the dual season. The next straight-set win came at No. 4 as Sharples defeated Malkin, 6-3, 7-6, followed by Keti Mebuke taking her seventh-straight singles win with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over McDonald at No. 6.
Kuvakina was able to secure a 6-4, 3-6 (10-7) win at No. 2 against Dekkinga, as Knoppe came back in her third set against Alvarez at No. 5 to win 6-3, 0-6, 6-3.
Despite taking the first set, Craig was unable to hang on at No. 1, as she ultimately fell 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 to Youel.
Hahn competed in an exhibition match with Maria Rozo, where she captured a 6-1, 6-3 win.
The Flames are back in action next weekend as they prepare for a pair of matches. On Saturday, March 16, UIC goes head-to-head with Wisconsin in Madison, Wis., at 1 p.m. (CT), before returning home to Match Point Tennis is Griffith, Ind., on Sunday, March 17, to host Bowling Green at 1 p.m. (CT).
UIC 6, Northern Illinois 1
1. Nelle Youel (NIU) def. Haley Craig (UIC) – 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) – 6-4, 3-6 (10-7)
3. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Arantza De La Torre (NIU) – 6-1, 6-1
4. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Mary Malkin (NIU) – 6-3, 7-6
5. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Cristina Alvarez (NIU) – 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
6. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Stephanie McDonald (NIU) – 6-1, 6-1
Exh. Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Maria Rozo (NIU) – 6-1, 6-3
1. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Nelle Youel/Arantza De La Torre (NIU) – 8-7
2. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Haley Dekkinga/Stephanie McDonald (NIU) – 8-2
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Mary Malkin/Cristina Alvarez (NIU) – 8-4