March 2, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. - After falling in doubles, the UIC women's tennis team (6-1) came back in singles to grind out a 4-3 win over Illinois State on Saturday at Evergreen Racquet Club. Mariana Palacios and Keti Mebuke captured their sixth singles victories of the season, as Natalia Kuvakina and Ann-Sophie Hahn improved to 6-0 at doubles.
Kuvakina and Hahn were able to pull away with a win despite the Flames falling at the No. 1 and 2 positions. The duo defeated Heather Nisbet and Carolina Abello, 8-3, to stay undefeated in doubles this season.
In singles, UIC came out to take three straight wins before clinching the fourth. Jana Knoppe, Kuvakina, Mebuke and Palacios were all able to take out the opposition.
Knoppe took the first win after coming out at No. 5 to defeat Nisbet, 6-0, 6-1. Kuvakina brought in the next win at No. 2 with a 6-4, 6-0 win against Abello.
Mebuke claimed her sixth singles win of the season when she came out on top of Gabby Phillips, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 6. Palacios secured the victory after she also took her sixth singles win of the season after going to three sets with with Stefanie Youngberg at No. 3 and taking a 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 final.
The two losses for the Flames came at No. 1, with Haley Craig falling to Emmie Marx, 6-3, 7-6 (3), and at No. 4, as Kathryn Sharples went down to Phyllis Tigges, 6-4, 6-3.
The Flames are set to compete against Northern Illinois next Saturday, March 9, in DeKalb, Ill., with the first serve scheduled for 1 p.m. (CT).
UIC 4, Illinois State 3
1. Emmie Marx (ISU) def. Haley Craig (UIC) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
2. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) def. Carolina Abello (ISU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Stefanie Youngberg (ISU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
4. Phyllis Tigges (ISU) def. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 6-4, 6-3
5. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Heather Nisbet (ISU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Gabby Phillips (ISU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 6, 4, 3, 1
1. Emmie Marx/Sarah Paulson (ISU) def. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Phyllis Tigges/Stefanie Youngberg (ISU) def. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) 8-6
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Heather Nisbet/Carolina Abello (ISU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1