Feb. 23, 2013
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - For the second-consecutive season, the UIC women's tennis team (5-1) was able to come out on top of its contest with Western Michigan. On Saturday at the West Hills Athletic Club, the Flames captured a 4-3 victory to take their second all-time win over the Broncos.
Western Michigan came away with the first point after taking two doubles matches. Haley Craig and Mariana Palacios (No. 1) and Kathryn Sharples and Jana Knoppe (No. 2) fell to their opponents, 8-5, while Natalia Kuvakina and Ann-Sophie Hahn (No. 3) continued to stay perfect with an 8-1 win over Kelsey King and Hailey Shanahan.
UIC was able to come back in singles, winning four straight-set matches to secure the win. Sharples produced the first win after defeating Caroline Aleck at No. 4 in a 6-0, 6-1 decision, with Keti Mebuke taking the second at No. 6 with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Shanahan. To close out the match, Craig brought down Nini Sujashvili at No. 1, 6-4, 6-1, as Palacios toppled Jill Pastunink at No. 3, 6-2, 6-3.
Knoppe was able to take her match at No. 5 against King to three sets, but ultimately fell 6-4, 3-6, 7-5, while Kuvakina suffered a 6-2, 6-1 loss at No. 2 to Maggie Remynse.
The Flames stay on the road for a match against Illinois State on Saturday, March 2. Competition is set to get underway at 1 p.m. (CT) in Normal, Ill., at Evergreen Racquet Club.
UIC 4, Western Michigan 3
1. Haley Craig (UIC) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Kelsey King (WMU) def. Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
6. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Hailey Shanahan (WMU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Jill Pastunink/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) 8-5
2. Nini Sujashvili/Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) 8-5
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Kelsey King/Hailey Shanahan (WMU) 8-1