Feb. 10, 2013
DES MOINES, Iowa – The UIC women’s tennis team (3-1) went 2-0 this weekend after defeating South Dakota, 7-0, on Sunday. The Flames swept all matches through doubles and singles.
The first point of the day came as UIC collected all three wins at doubles. Haley Craig and Mariana Palacios claimed No. 1 with an 8-3 win over Maria Tortosa Bernabeu and Milica Pavlovic. Kathryn Sharples and Jana Knoppe captured an 8-1 defeat against Michelle Elkin and Hafsa Laraibi at No. 2, as Natalia Kuvakina and Ann-Sophie Hahn took down Veronika Makashov and Yamini Reddy, 8-3, at No. 3.
The Flames won all singles matches in straight sets to secure their sweep. Craig topped Pavlovic, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 1, with Palacios taking a 6-1, 6-0 win over Elkin at No. 2 and Sharples came away win a 6-3, 6-1 win against Laraibi at No. 3.
Positioned at No. 4, Knoppe shut down Nina Barudzic, 6-1, 6-1, as Keti Mebuke was able to blank Makashov, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 5 and Hahn captured a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 6 against Reddy.
The Flames return to their indoor home at Match Point Tennis in Griffith, Ind., on Saturday to host Toledo at 1 p.m. (CT).
UIC 7, South Dakota 0
1. Haley Craig (UIC) def. Milica Pavlovic (USD) 6-1, 6-0
2. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Michelle Elkin (USD) 6-1, 6-0
3. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Hafsa Laraibi (USD) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Nina Barudzic (USD) 6-1, 6-1
5. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Veronika Makashov (USD) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Yamini Reddy (USD) 6-0, 6-1
1. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Maria Tortosa Bernabeu/Milica Pavlovic 8-3
2. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Michelle Elkin/Hafsa Laraibi 8-1
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Veronika Makashov/Yamini Reddy 8-3