Feb. 9, 2013
DES MOINES, Iowa – The UIC women’s tennis team (2-1) took its second win of the season on Saturday with a 6-1 defeat against North Dakota. The Flames swept doubles before coming away with five straight-set singles wins.
“Our doubles were clicking today and there were some highlights to our matches,” head coach Shannon Tully said. “There is always room for improvement and we need to clean up some errors as we look to the upcoming matches.”
UIC started off with the first point in doubles, having blanked UND in all three matches. Haley Craig and Mariana Palacios took down Stephanie Petsis and Callie Ronkowski at No. 1, 8-2, with Kathryn Sharples and Jana Knoppe also defeating Stepahnie Biehn and Megan Sween at No. 2, 8-2. At No. 3, Natalia Kuvakina and Ann-Sophie Hahn came out on top of an 8-1 decision against Sarah Stejskal and Mindy Lawrence.
Five singles matches were won by the Flames at No. 2-6 in straight sets. Kuvakina improved to 2-0 at No. 2 this season with a 6-3, 6-3 defeat over Ronkowski. Palacios positioned at No. 3 to take down Biehn, 6-2, 6-2, as Sharples upended Stejksal, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 4.
Knoppe came away from Sween, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 5, while Keti Mebuke rotated into the No. 6 position to capture a 6-2, 6-0 win against Shaylin Prout.
At No. 1, Craig went up against Petsis and was able to take the second set to a tiebreaker, but ultimately fell 6-0, 7-6 (10-8).
The Flames are back on the courts tomorrow to face South Dakota at 9:30 a.m. (CT) in another neutral-site match.
UIC 6, North Dakota 1
1. Stephanie Petsis (UND) def. Haley Craig (UIC) 6-0, 7-6 (10-8)
2. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) def. Callie Ronkowski (UND) 6-3, 6-3
3. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Stephanie Biehn (UND) 6-2, 6-2
4. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Sarah Stejskal (UND) 6-1, 6-0
5. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Megan Sween (UND) 6-1, 6-3
6. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Shaylin Prout (UND) 6-2, 6-0
1. Haley Craig/Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Stephanie Petsis/Callie Ronkowski (UND) 8-2
2. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Stephanie Biehn/Megan Sween (UND) 8-2
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Sarah Stejskal/Mindy Lawrence (UND) 8-1