Feb. 3, 2013
GRIFFITH, Ind. - The UIC women's tennis team (1-1) came away with its first win of the season on Sunday against Chicago at Match Point Tennis. The Flames swept singles in straight-set matches and captured the doubles point to shut out the Maroons, 7-0.
"We still have some work to do in doubles," head coach Shannon Tully said. "We need to find combinations that work and we need to be more aggressive. The team got the job done in singles, and I was pleased with how they played."
Haley Craig and Kathryn Sharples blanked Linden Li and Stephanie Lee at No. 1 doubles, 8-0, for the first win, while Natalia Kuvakina and Ann-Sophie Hahn combined at No. 3 to top Sruthi Ramaswami and Maggie Schumann, 8-2. Mariana Palacios and Jana Knoppe's match at No. 2 went unfinished.
UIC dominated in singles, preventing the opposition from scoring no more than three points in each set. Kuvakina went up at No. 1 to take down Li, 6-2, 6-0, Palacios came out over Kelsey McGillis at No. 2 in a 6-1, 6-3 final and Sharples bested Helen Sdvizkhov, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 3.
Knoppe was positioned at No. 4 against Ramaswami, were she captured a 6-3, 6-2 win. Keti Mebuke stifled Schumann at No. 5 with a 6-0, 6-0 defeat, as Hahn rounded out singles at No. 6 with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Lee.
North Dakota and South Dakota are next up for the Flames, with neutral-site matches in Des Moines, Iowa, scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 9, at 9 a.m. (CT) and Sunday, Feb. 10, at 9:30 a.m. (CT), respectively.
UIC 7, Chicago 0
1. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) def. Linden Li (CHI) 6-2, 6-0
2. Mariana Palacios (UIC) def. Kelsey McGillis (CHI) 6-1, 6-3
3. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Helen Sdvizkhov (CHI) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Sruthi Ramaswami (CHI) 6-3, 6-2
5. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Maggie Schumann (CHI) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Stephanie Lee (CHI) 6-3, 6-0
1. Haley Craig/Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Linden Li/Stephanie Lee (CHI) 8-0
2. Mariana Palacios/Jana Knoppe (UIC) vs. Helen Sdvizkhov/Kelsey McGillis (CHI) 3-6, unfinished
3. Natalia Kuvakina/Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Sruthi Ramaswami/Maggie Schumann (CHI) 8-2