Women's Tennis Drops Tough Match In Milwaukee|
Jan. 22, 2002
Milwaukee, Wis. - Most people believe that the next big gathering of nations will take place in Salt Lake City at the 2002 Olympic Winter Games next month.
Another international convention of sort took place Monday in Milwaukee between the women's tennis teams from the University of Illinois at Chicago and Marquette.
Marquette, with six countries represented on its roster, defeated the Flames, who boast athletes under five different flags, by a count of 6-1, in a match--which despite the score--could have gone to either team.
"This was a very tough match," said UIC head coach Shannon Tully. "The scores from the singles matches were very close and the breaks just didn't fall our way."
Zorica Malesevic (Bosnia and Herzegovina) picked up UIC's lone win of the afternoon, defeating Alex Stankovic (Sweden) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.
The other singles matches were hotly contested. At the No. 1 slot, Marquette's Gen Charron (Canada) edged Nicole Derouin (U.S.) of UIC 5-7, 6-2, 6-4.
The Flames' Britta Dohmann (Germany) was barely bested by Vero Briseno (Mexico) by a score of 7-5, 4-6, 16-14.
At No. 1 doubles, Marquette's tandem of Charron and Briseno got by UIC's pair of Derouin and Ayca Gumuscu (Turkey) in an entertaining battle 8-6.
The UIC women's tennis team will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 2, when the Flames host the Sycamores of Indiana State in non-conference action. Match-time is set for 1:00 p.m. at the Oak Park Tennis and Fitness Center.
1. G. Charron (MU) def. N. Derouin (UIC) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
2. E. Trujillo (MU) def. A. Gumuscu (UIC) 7-5, 6-4
3. V. Briseno (MU) def. B. Dhomann (UIC) 7-5, 6-4, 16-14
4. A. Pavlovic (MU) def. Zvjezdana Malesevic (UIC) 6-4, 7-5
5. Zorica Malesevic (UIC) def. A. Stankovic (MU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
6. S. LaValley (MU) def. A. Stalzer (UIC) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
1. Charron/Briseno (MU) def. Derouin/Gumuscu (UIC) 8-6
2. Trujillo/Pavlovic (MU) def. Zv. Malesevic/Stalzer (UIC) 8-1
3. Stankovic/LaValley (MU) def. Dohmann/Liwanpo (UIC) 8-1