Jan. 21, 2013
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The UIC women's tennis team ended play at the Purdue Hidden Dual on Monday at the Schwartz Tennis Center. The Flames faced tough competition from No. 27 Purdue and No. 65 DePaul during the three-day event and welcomed the new additions of Ann-Sophie Hahn and Mariana Palacios.
After obtaining eligibility for the spring season, Hahn and Palacios were able to compete alongside UIC during the tournament. The pair contributed at a number of positions, as the Flames took the opportunity to test different lineups.
Day one presented UIC with doubles matches against the Boilermakers and Blue Demons. First facing Purdue, Haley Craig joined Palacios at No. 1, Natalia Kuvakina and Kathryn Sharples combined at No. 2 and Jana Knoppe and Keti Mebuke rounded out play at No. 3. Despite their efforts, the three tandems were unable to come away with a win, falling 8-5, 8-4 and 8-0, respectively.
Hahn was able to get in on the action with a qualifying singles match against Purdue's Claudia Escribens, but ultimately went down 8-1.
Into doubles play with DePaul, the Flames mixed up their positions with Kuvakina and Palacios at No. 1, Sharples and Knoppe at No. 2 and Mebuke and Hahn at No. 3, but the Blue Demons took an 8-4 (No. 1) victory and two 8-0 (No. 2 and 3) wins.
It was a hard fought day on Sunday for UIC as they headed into singles. First facing Purdue, the Flames could not come up with a win against their nationally-ranked opponent. Craig took on No. 80 Lynda Xepoleas at No. 1 (6-3, 6-2) and Kuvakina faced No. 108 Mara Schmidt (6-1, 6-4) at No. 2, while the rest of the positions were lost in straight sets.
Mebuke and Hahn were able to take the first wins of the tournament for UIC during singles competition with DePaul. After going to three sets, Mebuke claimed a 6-3, 1-6, 6-1 win over Jarret Fisher at No. 5 and Hahn bested Zaina Sufi, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 6.
Against the Blue Demons, Kuvakina moved up to No. 1 take on Matea Cutura (6-2, 6-4) and Palacios positioned at No. 2 against Patricia Fargas (6-2, 6-2), as Sharples took to No. 3 versus Ana Vladutu (6-4, 6-2) and Knoppe competed at No. 4 with Kelsey Lawson (6-2, 6-4).
The last day of competition was scheduled for another match-up with Purdue in doubles and singles. Kuvakina and Sharples fell at No. 1 to Krisztina Kapitany and Schmidt, 8-2, while Craig and Hahn went to a tiebreaker at No. 2 against Daniela Vidal and Imogen Golder before falling 8-7 (7-2).
Singles wrapped up with the Boilermakers taking the four matches played in straight sets. Sharples was positioned at No. 1 against Schmidt, with Palacios at No. 2, Knoppe at No. 3 and Hahn at No. 4.
The Flames break open their dual season on Friday, Feb. 2, with a non-conference match on the road against Marquette. Competition is scheduled for 4 p.m. (CT) in Milwaukee, Wis., at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium.
UIC vs. No. 27 Purdue
1. No. 80 Lynda Xepoleas (PUR-W) def. Haley Craig (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 108 Mara Schmidt (PUR-W) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Daniela Vidal (PUR-W) def. Mariana Palacios (UIC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Krisztina Kapitany (PUR-W) def. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Imogen Golder (PUR-W) def. Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Claudia Escribens (PUR-W) def. Keti Mebuke (UIC) 6-0, 6-1
1. No. 108 Mara Schmidt (PUR-W) def. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Krisztina Kapitany (PUR-W) def. Mariana Palacios (UIC) 7-5, 6-4
3. Daniela Vidal (PUR-W) def. Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-0, 6-4
4. Imogen Golder (PUR-W) def. Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Claudia Escribens (PUR-W) def. Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) 8-1
1. Kapitany/Schmidt (PUR-W) def. Craig/Palacios (UIC) 8-5
2. Xepoleas/Vidal (PUR-W) def. Kuvakina/Sharples (UIC) 8-4
3. Pere/Golder (PUR-W) def. Knoppe/Mebuke (UIC) 8-0
1. Kapitany/Schmidt (PUR-W) def. Kuvakina/Sharples (UIC) 8-2
2. Vidal/Golder (PUR-W) def. Craig/Hahn (UIC) 8-7 (7-2)
UIC vs. No. 65 DePaul
1. Matea Cutura (DPU) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Patricia Fargas (DPU) def. Mariana Palacios (UIC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ana Vladutu (DPU) def. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Kelsey Larson (DPU) def. Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Jarret Fisher (DPU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-1
6. Ann-Sophie Hahn (UIC) def. Zaina Sufi (DPU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
1. Fargas/Vladutu (DPU) def. Kuvakina/Palacios (UIC) 8-4
2. Cutura/Sufi (DPU) def. Sharples/Knoppe (UIC) 8-0
3. Fisher/Lawson (DPU) def. Mebuke/Hahn (UIC) 8-0