July 17, 2014
The 2013-14 academic year featured exceptional accomplishments for UIC student-athletes. Over the summer months (June 2 – August 8), UICFlames.com will rewind and look back on the Top 40 Flames’ Moments from 2013-14. Each sport will be featured over ten weeks as we recap the year that was in UIC Athletics.
Moment: Natalie Hernandez earns HL Tournament Batting Champion Award
Date: May 10, 2014
Location: WSU Softball Field in Dayton, Ohio
UIC went 2-2 in Horizon League Tournament play with wins over Youngstown State, 3-2 (8), and Wright State, 3-0. Shortstop Natalie Hernandez and pitcher Bridget Boyle were selected to the All-Tournament Team, while left fielder Courtney Heeley earned the Defensive Player Award and Hernandez claimed the Batting Champion Award following the completion of the Horizon League Championship.
- Hernandez was strong in the Horizon League Tournament, with a .563 batting average and three home runs and a slugging percentage of 1.125.
- She finished the season with a UIC record batting average of .413. Hernandez continuously appeared in the Horizon League top-10 and led the Flames in runs (39), hits (64), home runs (12), RBI (40) and stolen bases (13) while boasting a .723 slugging percentage.
- She ended the season with 12 homers, placing her ninth on the single-season record list.
- Hernandez was named to both the All-Horizon League First Team and the NFCA All-Great Lakes Region Third Team.
- Boyle shined on the mound at the tournament after making three appearances and two starts to go 1-0 during competition.
- The sophomore pitched 12.0 innings, earned just three runs for a 1.75 ERA and struck out six batters.
- Boyle finished the season with a 4.77 ERA in 108.2 innings and eight complete games.
- Heeley received the Defensive Player Award at the tournament after posting 17 putouts, one assist and no errors for a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage.
- Heeley ended the season ranked second on the Flames in doubles, (10) RBI (30) and tied a single-season best with four homers.
PREVIOUS TOP MOMENTS
June 2 - Men's Soccer Posts 1-0 Shutout Against #19 Gonzaga
June 3 - Women's Basketball Defeats Wisconsin for Eighth Straight Win
June 5 - Granderson Opens New Stadium at UIC
June 6 - Ehrhardt Wins HL Women's Athlete of the Year
June 9 - Dion Named NCAA Regional Gymnast of the Year
June 10 - Ogunleye Wins Triple Jump at HL Championships
June 12 - Volleyball's Five-Set Win over Marshall
June 13 - Barlow's 38 Points Clinches Third Place for Flames at Showcase
June 16 - Women's Tennis Defeats Oakland 6-1
June 17 - Smollen Wins Individual Title at Green Bay Dual
June 19 - Ishimaru Wins 200 Butterfly at HL Championship
June 20 - UIC Upsets Michigan State and Indiana in Hoosier Classic
June 23 - Women's Soccer Completes Roster for Inaugural Season
June 24 - UIC to Host 2018 NCAA Men's Gymnastics Championships
June 26 - Men's Tennis Extends Win Streak to Three
June 27 - Women's Swimming and Diving's Strong Showing at HL Championships
June 30 - Flames Collect Eighth Straight with 3-1 Win Over Drake
July 1 - Flames Tie Program Record With 11th Straight Win
July 2 - Flames Power Their Way to an 18-5 Romp Against Purdue
July 3 - Ehrhardt Earns All-Region Honors
July 7 - Women's Gymnastics Tops Illinois State in Final Home Meet
July 8 - Mwale Wins High Jump at HL Championships
July 10 - Volleyball Wins Five-Set Thriller at Cleveland State
July 11- UIC Defeats March Madness Participant Milwaukee, 80-58
July 14 - Knoppe Ties UIC Career Singles Victories Record
July 15 - Ishimaru and Ciesielski Win HL Weekly Awards