Dec. 7, 2013
CHICAGO - The UIC men's and women's gymnastics teams concluded the annual Mixed Pairs exhibition meet Saturday evening at the Physical Education Building. Team five, comprised of Catherine Dion, Giulia Hindermann, Trent Jarrett, Travis Burke, Joseph Mauk and Scott Poort, came away with first place after averaging a score of 26.57.
The men's squad was led individually by Jason Gaides, who produced the best scores on pommel horse (13.85) and high bar (12.90), with additional top performances from Brandon Jones on floor (13.90), Joseph Hodges on rings (13.15), Brett Valin on vault (14.00) and Kyle Christiansen on parallel bars (13.60).
On the women's side, Dion produced the best scores on vault (9.60), beam (9.75) and floor (9.70), as Citlali Cuevas came away with a 9.35 on uneven bars.
Both teams are back at the PEB to kick off their competitive seasons when the women host Arizona on Saturday, Jan. 11 at 5 p.m. CT and the men take on Illinois on Sunday, Jan. 12 at 5 p.m. CT.
Mixed Pairs Results
1. Team Five - Catherine Dion, Giulia Hindermann, Trent Jarrett, Travis Burke, Joseph Mauk and Scott Poort - 26.57 avg.
2. Team Four - Nicole Szabo, Chelsea Bailey, Brett Valin, Kyle Christiansen, Christopher Patton - 21.81 avg.
3. Team One - Gabrielle May, Jason Gaides, Michael Brackmann, Brandon Jones - 21.81 avg.
4. Team Three - Citlali Cuevas, Michelle Lozneanu, Jacob Thurber, Alexander Dumstorf, Casey Mahoney-Muno - 21.36 avg.
5. Team Two - Emily DeCesare, Alexandra Vedenin, Joseph Hodges, Japheth Grimes, Jacob Mager, Joshua Soto - 20.82 avg.