2013-14 UIC Women's Basketball Prospectus Available on UICFlames.com|
Oct. 10, 2013
CHICAGO - The regular season opener against St. Xavier is less than 30 days away (Nov. 8). In advance of the third season under the tutelage of head coach Regina Miller, the 2013-14 UIC women's basketball preseason prospectus is now available on UICFlames.com.
NOTABLES HEADING INTO 2013-14 SEASON
• UIC is prepping for its 43rd women’s basketball season. The Flames enter the 2013-14 campaign with 448 all-time wins, including 367 victories at the NCAA Division I level.
• UIC is also entering its 20th year as a member of the Horizon League. The Flames joined the League prior to the 1994-95 season.
• UIC returns nine letterwinners from the 2012-13 campaign, including three starters in Katie Hannemann, Rachel Story, and Terri Bender. Nearly 82 percent of last year’s offense is back for the 2013-14 season.
• UIC head coach Regina Miller also brought in four newcomers, including freshmen Teodora Zagorac and Melita Emanuel-Carr. The Flames will also welcome the services of redshirt sophomore forward Ruvanna Campbell, a transfer from La Salle who sat out the entire 2012-13 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
• Both All-Horizon League honorees from last season return for the 2013-14 campaign. Katie Hannemann was voted to the second-team All-League, while Rachel Story was selected to the All-Newcomer squad. The duo combined to average nearly 30 points per game and led the Flames’ in scoring in 24 of their 29 regular season contests.
• UIC head coach Regina Miller added two new assistant coaches to the program. Eric Simpson, who served as the head coach at Loyola the past four seasons, and Tiffany Sardin, a Chicago native and three-year captain for the University of Virginia, joined the coaching staff in July 2013.
• The 2013-14 schedule features 13 regular season home games, two matchups with Big Ten programs and a trip to Puerto Rico for the San Juan Shootout. The Flames will also play five contests against in-state opponents and begin Horizon League play on Jan. 8, when UIC travels to Green Bay, an NCAA tournament participant in 2012-13. Ten of UIC’s 29 games are against programs that advanced to a postseason tournament during the 2012-13 campaign.