Aug. 5, 2014
The 2013-14 academic year featured exceptional accomplishments for UIC student-athletes. Over the summer months (June 2 – August 8), UICFlames.com will rewind and look back on the Top 40 Flames’ Moments from 2013-14. Each sport will be featured over ten weeks as we recap the year that was in UIC Athletics.
Team: Women’s Basketball
Moment: UIC Wins 2014 WBI Title
Date: March 29, 2014
Location: UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Ill.
The best season in program history ended with a postseason title as UIC (26-9) defeated Stephen F. Austin (23-13), 73-64, in the Championship Game of the 2014 Women’s Basketball Invitational. The Horizon League has captured two straight WBI championships as Detroit took home the title in 2013.
- UIC finished the 2013-14 season with the program’s first ever postseason title in only its second postseason appearance.
- Head coach Regina Miller led the Flames to a program-record 26 wins and the nation’s largest turnaround. UIC collected 17 more wins (26-9) than the entire 2012-13 campaign (9-21), which is the largest win differential amongst 347 programs nationwide.
- UIC also won 11 straight games from Nov. 15 – Jan. 3, which tied the longest win streak in program history.
- Sophomore Ruvanna Campbell had a WBI record eight blocks in the title game against Stephen F. Austin, and was named WBI MVP.
- Campbell was also named Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year and was selected to both the First All-Horizon League Team and the All-Horizon League Defensive Team.
- Senior Rachel Story scored a game-high 27 points in the title game and finished her career with 1,077 points, which ranks her 15th in program history.
- Story was named to the WBI All-Tournament Team as well as the All-Horizon League Second Team.
PREVIOUS TOP MOMENTS:
June 2 - Men's Soccer Posts 1-0 Shutout Against #19 Gonzaga
June 3 - Women's Basketball Defeats Wisconsin for Eighth Straight Win
June 5 - Granderson Opens New Stadium at UIC
June 6 - Ehrhardt Wins HL Women's Athlete of the Year
June 9 - Dion Named NCAA Regional Gymnast of the Year
June 10 - Ogunleye Wins Triple Jump at HL Championships
June 12 - Volleyball's Five-Set Win over Marshall
June 13 - Barlow's 38 Points Clinches Third Place for Flames at Showcase
June 16 - Women's Tennis Defeats Oakland 6-1
June 17 - Smollen Wins Individual Title at Green Bay Dual
June 19 - Ishimaru Wins 200 Butterfly at HL Championship
June 20 - UIC Upsets Michigan State and Indiana in Hoosier Classic
June 23 - Women's Soccer Completes Roster for Inaugural Season
June 24 - UIC to Host 2018 NCAA Men's Gymnastics Championships
June 26 - Men's Tennis Extends Win Streak to Three
June 27 - Women's Swimming and Diving's Strong Showing at HL Championships
June 30 - Flames Collect Eighth Straight with 3-1 Win Over Drake
July 1 - Flames Tie Program Record With 11th Straight Win
July 2 - Flames Power Their Way to an 18-5 Romp Against Purdue
July 3 - Ehrhardt Earns All-Region Honors
July 7 - Women's Gymnastics Tops Illinois State in Final Home Meet
July 8 - Mwale Wins High Jump at HL Championships
July 10 - Volleyball Wins Five-Set Thriller at Cleveland State
July 11- UIC Defeats March Madness Participant Milwaukee, 80-58
July 14 - Knoppe Ties UIC Career Singles Victories Record
July 15 - Ishimaru and Ciesielski Win HL Weekly Awards
July 17 - Hernandez Earns HL Tournament Batting Champion Award
July 18 - Mangal's 76 Highlights Round Two of Horizon League Championship
July 21 - UIC Dance Takes Third at NDA Collegiate Championships
July 22 - Gaides Sixth in All-Around at NCAA Qualifier
July 24 - Men's Tennis Wins Senior Day against Youngstown State
July 25 - Johnson Dives at NCAA Zone C Championships
July 28 - Men's Soccer Earns No. 23 National Ranking
July 29 - Flames Break Program Record with 73-65 Win at Youngstown State
July 31 - Andersen Shines as UIC Baseball Wins Eighth Straight
August 1 - Men's Track & Field Wins Twice at HL Indoor Championships
August 4 - Men's Soccer Headlines Horizon League Awards