July 29, 2014
The 2013-14 academic year featured exceptional accomplishments for UIC student-athletes. Over the summer months (June 2 – August 8), UICFlames.com will rewind and look back on the Top 40 Flames’ Moments from 2013-14. Each sport will be featured over ten weeks as we recap the year that was in UIC Athletics.
Team: Women’s Basketball
Moment: Flames Break Program Record with 73-63 Win at Youngstown State
Date: February 27, 2014
Location: Beeghly Center in Youngstown, Ohio
UIC broke the program record for single-season wins with a 73-65 road victory over Youngstown State. UIC’s win total eclipsed the 2006-07 squad, who went 19-13 and made the program’s lone trip to the postseason (WNIT).
- UIC ended the season successfully by earning their first postseason title as WBI champions in only their second postseason appearance in program history.
- Senior Katie Hannemann led all scoring against YSU with 24 points.
- Hannemann finished her career with 1,108 points and 605 rebounds, which ranks her 14th and ninth in program history. She was also named to the WBI All-Tournament Team.
- Sophomore Terri Bender scored 11 points in the YSU victory, which was her 13th double-digit performance.
- Bender also handed out six assists and collected a career-high seven steals against YSU.
- By the end of the season, Bender broke the single-season UIC assist record with 148 assists and tied the single-season UIC steals record with 93 steals.
- She led the Horizon League and ranked 22nd nationally with 2.7 steals per game.
- Bender also ranked third in the conference with 4.2 assists per game and was named to the All-Horizon League Defensive Team.
PREVIOUS TOP MOMENTS:
June 2 - Men's Soccer Posts 1-0 Shutout Against #19 Gonzaga
June 3 - Women's Basketball Defeats Wisconsin for Eighth Straight Win
June 5 - Granderson Opens New Stadium at UIC
June 6 - Ehrhardt Wins HL Women's Athlete of the Year
June 9 - Dion Named NCAA Regional Gymnast of the Year
June 10 - Ogunleye Wins Triple Jump at HL Championships
June 12 - Volleyball's Five-Set Win over Marshall
June 13 - Barlow's 38 Points Clinches Third Place for Flames at Showcase
June 16 - Women's Tennis Defeats Oakland 6-1
June 17 - Smollen Wins Individual Title at Green Bay Dual
June 19 - Ishimaru Wins 200 Butterfly at HL Championship
June 20 - UIC Upsets Michigan State and Indiana in Hoosier Classic
June 23 - Women's Soccer Completes Roster for Inaugural Season
June 24 - UIC to Host 2018 NCAA Men's Gymnastics Championships
June 26 - Men's Tennis Extends Win Streak to Three
June 27 - Women's Swimming and Diving's Strong Showing at HL Championships
June 30 - Flames Collect Eighth Straight with 3-1 Win Over Drake
July 1 - Flames Tie Program Record With 11th Straight Win
July 2 - Flames Power Their Way to an 18-5 Romp Against Purdue
July 3 - Ehrhardt Earns All-Region Honors
July 7 - Women's Gymnastics Tops Illinois State in Final Home Meet
July 8 - Mwale Wins High Jump at HL Championships
July 10 - Volleyball Wins Five-Set Thriller at Cleveland State
July 11- UIC Defeats March Madness Participant Milwaukee, 80-58
July 14 - Knoppe Ties UIC Career Singles Victories Record
July 15 - Ishimaru and Ciesielski Win HL Weekly Awards
July 17 - Hernandez Earns HL Tournament Batting Champion Award
July 18 - Mangal's 76 Highlights Round Two of Horizon League Championship
July 21 - UIC Dance Takes Third at NDA Collegiate Championships
July 22 - Gaides Sixth in All-Around at NCAA Qualifier
July 24 - Men's Tennis Wins Senior Day against Youngstown State
July 25 - Johnson Dives at NCAA Zone C Championships
July 28 - Men's Soccer Earns No. 23 National Ranking