April 27, 2013
INDIANAPOLIS - While competing in the consolation round for a fifth-place finish at the Horizon League Championship, the No. 5 UIC men's tennis team came away with the doubles point and a pair of singles matches before being edged by No. 3 Youngstown State, 4-3, Saturday at North Central High School.
"We played solid in doubles and the match came down to senior Rahul Kamath, who fought back from being down a set and 4-1 in the second," head coach Hans Neufeld said. "He wasn't able to pull out the third, but gave us a solid effort."
The Flames put up a fight from the start of the match, as they headed into doubles and captured two wins to take the first point. Alexander Raa and Rahul Kamath were able to oust Dawoud Kabli and Sebastian Hagn, 8-4, at No. 1 before Maurizio Feoli and Alan Reifer came in at No. 2 to take down Rodrigo Campos and Max Schmerin, 8-6.
At No. 3, Isaac Lloveras and Gautham Oroskar had their match with Silviu Mistreanu and Felipe Rosa come to a halt at 6-7 after the doubles point was decided.
UIC was able to come up with two additional wins in singles from Reifer and Christopher Cole. Reifer claimed a 7-5, 6-1 victory at No. 2 over Hagn for his second win of the day, as Cole brought in a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 4 against Zeeshan Ismail.
While positioned at No. 1 and 3, respectively, Raa fell to Mistreanu, 6-4, 6-4, as Lloveras suffered a 6-3, 6-2 loss to Rosa.
In the final two matches, Feoli and Kamath went to three sets before the winner was decided. Feoli won his first set against Campos but was unable to come back in the final two, as he went down 3-6, 6-3, 6-1. Kamath fought back from falling in his first set to take the second before ultimately falling 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 to Schmerin.
Saturday's match brought the Flames' season to close, as they ended with an overall record of 6-16 and a record of 2-6 against Horizon League opponents.
"This team didn't show the best results, but fought and improved with each week," Neufeld added. "We return our 1-5 and have two excellent recruits coming in. I look forward to next year's squad."
YSU 4, UIC 3
1. Silviu Mistreanu (YSU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Sebastian Hagn (YSU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Felipe Rosa (YSU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Zeeshan Ismail (YSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Rodrigo Campos (YSU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Max Schmerin (YSU) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
1. Alexander Raa/Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Dawoud Kabli/Sebastian Hagn (YSU) 8-4
2. Maurizio Feoli/Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Rodrigo Campos/Max Schmerin (YSU) 8-6
3. Silviu Mistreanu/Felipe Rosa (YSU) vs. Isaac Lloveras/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) 6-7 unfinished