April 26, 2014
ANN ARBOR, Mich.- Coming down to the last match of the day, the UIC men’s tennis team fell to Valparaiso in the first round of the Horizon League Championship tournament 4-3 on Friday evening at the University of Michigan Varsity Tennis Center.
“It has been a great year for the guys who competed well,” stated head coach Hans Neufeld. “The final match went down to senior Alan Reifer who battled back to a third set with the team match on the line.”
“He would be a great person to decide the point. It was a great atmosphere and [Reifer] rose up to the challenge.”
Beginning in doubles, the Crusaders earned the first point after winning two of three matches. Jeffrey Schorsch and Charlie Emhardt defeated Alexander Raa and Isaac Lloveras, 8-7, at No. 2. Eric Honert and Kyle Dunn dropped Alan Reifer and Christopher Cole, 8-5, in the No. 3 position. The match of Maurizio Feoli and Carl Hedstrom versus Dave Bacalla and Daniel Oakes at No. 1 went unfinished.
The Flames took half of the singles matches of the day when Lloveras defeated Honert at No. 3, 6-2, 6-1, the first singles point for the Flames. Feoli fought from behind, coming back and downing Michael Savaglio in the No. 4 position, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4. Cole took his No. 6 match in straight sets against Dunn, 7-6, 6-4. At No. 5, Hedstrom fell to Emhardt, 6-4, 6-3. In the No. 1 spot, Raa was defeated by Schorsch when the match ended in the second set.
In the deciding match of the day, Alan Reifer was unable to come out on top in the No. 2 position pushing to three but falling to Bacalla, 3-6, 6-7, 4-6. Bacalla took the first set with Reifer fighting and tying it up after the second. With the next round in sight, Reifer fought back and forth with Bacalla. Bacalla broke up Reifer's serve and ultimately won the set (6-4) giving him the match victory and advancing the Crusaders onto the next round.
With this loss, the Flames have ended their 2013-14 season with the Horizon League tournament being single elimination.
Valparaiso 4, UIC 3
1. Jeffrey Schorsch (Valpo) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) – Retired in 2nd set
2. Dave Bacalla (Valpo) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-3, 6-7, 6-4
3. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Eric Honert (Valpo) 6-2, 6-1
4. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Michael Savaglio (Valpo) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Charlie Emhardt (Valpo) def. Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 6-4, 6-3
6. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Kyle Dunn (Valpo) 7-6, 6-4
1. Dave Bacalla/Daniel Oakes (Valpo) vs. Maurizio Feoli/ Carl Hedstrom (UIC) – Unfinished
2. Jeffrey Schorsch/Charlie Emhardt (Valpo) def. Alexander Raa/ Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 8-7
3. Eric Honert/Kyle Dunn (Valpo) def. Alan Reifer/ Christopher Cole (UIC) 8-5