April 20, 2013
OAK BROOK, Ill. - After moving its match indoors to the Oak Brook Park District Tennis Center, the UIC men's tennis team (6-14, 2-4 HL) swept doubles and captured four singles wins to defeat Valparaiso, 5-2, Saturday and advance to the Horizon League Championship.
"Alex (Raa), Alan (Reifer), Isaac (Lloveras) and Rahul (Kamath) played solid in singles following a solid doubles performance," head coach Hans Neufeld said. "Rahul (Kamath) clinched the match with his win."
The Flames swept the field at the start of the match in doubles, as Alexander Raa and Rahul Kamath took the first win with an 8-2 defeat over Chris Baum and Michael Baiocchi at No. 1.
Maurizio Feoli and Alan Reifer were able to take an 8-6 win against Eric Honert and Lucas Waak at No. 2, while Isaac Lloveras and Gautham Oroskar came out on top of the tiebreaker with Daniel Oakes and Daniel Etman, 8-7 (5), at No. 3.
Raa, Lloveras, Rahul Kamath and Reifer went into singles to claim their respective matches and secure the win for UIC. Raa took down Honert, 6-1, 6-1, as Lloveras brought in a 6-1, 6-2 win over Baiocchi at No. 4. The match was clinched after Kamath captured a 6-1, 6-1 win against Etman at No. 6, before Reifer collected the final win at No. 2 versus Baum, 6-1, 6-4.
The lone pair of losses came in three sets for Feoli and Christopher Cole. Feoli won his first set before falling 4-6, 6-3, 10-7 to Waak at No. 5, and Cole also won his first set but ultimately went down 6-7, 6-4, 10-7 to Michael Savaglio at No. 3.
The Flames now prepare for the Horizon League Championship, set for April 26-28 at North Central High School in Indianapolis, Ind.
UIC 5, Valparaiso 2
1. Alexander Raa (UIC) def. Eric Honert (VALPO) 6-1, 6-1
2. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Chris Baum (VALPO) 6-1, 6-4
3. Michael Savaglio (VALPO) def. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-7, 6-4, 10-7
4. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Michael Baiocchi (VALPO) 6-1, 6-2
5. Lucas Waak (VALPO) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
6. Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Daniel Etman (VALPO) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 6, 2, 5, 3
1. Alexander Raa/Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Chris Baum/Michael Baiocchi (VALPO) 8-2
2. Maurizio Feoli/Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Eric Honert/Lucas Waak (VALPO) 8-6
3. Isaac Lloveras/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) def. Daniel Oakes/Daniel Etman (VALPO) 8-7 (5)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3