April 20, 2012
CHICAGO – On a day honoring its senior pair of Nate Kirk and Scott Shepardson, the UIC men’s tennis team (3-15/1-5 HL) battled through frigid temperatures as it faced Northern Illinois (20-7) at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts on Friday, ultimately falling in a 5-0 decision after two matches went unfinished.
The Flames were able to come away with a win in their doubles matches. Rahul Kamath and Alexander Raa took an 8-4 win over Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof at No. 1. The duo of Shepardson and Kirk were unable to capture No. 3 after Max Phillips and Frederic Cadieux came away in a close 8-6 final. At No. 2, Maurizio Feoli and Alan Reifer retired due to injury after Maksym Bartiuk and Roman Turtygin had a 6-1 lead.
In singles, UIC fell at each position, with two going unfinished. Reifer was placed at No. 2 and went down to Amir, 6-0, 6-0, as Kamath lost a 6-1, 6-2 decision to Bartiuk. Dropping their matches 6-3, 6-1, Gautham Oroskar fell to Cadieux at No. 5 and Francisco Pereira was taken down by Phillips at No. 6.
James Li and Raa each had their matches go unfinished. Li’s match with Turtygin at No. 1 ended after going 6-4, 2-3. Raa went up with Lagerlof at No. 3 before closing the match at 5-7, 5-2.
Playing together for the last time at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts, Kirk and Shepardson were presented with awards to recognize their time and commitment to UIC and the men’s tennis program. The duo have made an impact since their start with the Flames during the 2008-09 season.
“Nate Kirk and Scott Shepardson were team leaders on and off the court,” head coach Hans Neufeld said. “Scott was a doubles specialist that brought great energy to the team. Nate was a standout athlete in both singles and doubles.”
The Flames jump right back into action tomorrow when they head to Valparaiso, Ind., to take on the Crusaders in their final match of the regular season. The match is set to get underway at 3 p.m. (CT) at the Valpo Tennis Complex.
NIU 5, UIC 0
1. Kamath/Raa (UIC) def. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) – 8-4
2. Bartiuk/Turtygin (NIU) def. Feoli/Reifer (UIC) – 6-1 ret inj
3. Phillips/Cadieux (NIU) def. Shepardson/Kirk (UIC) – 8-6
1. James Li (UIC) vs. Roman Turtygin (NIU) – 6-4, 2-3 unfinished
2. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) – 6-0, 6-0
3. Alexander Raa (UIC) vs. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) – 5-7, 5-2 unfinished
4. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) – 6-1, 6-2
5. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Gautham Oroskar (UIC) – 6-3, 6-1
6. Max Phillips (NIU) def. Francisco Pereira (UIC) – 6-3, 6-1