April 19, 2014
CHICAGO- The UIC men’s tennis team (5-10, 2-4 HL) closes out regular season competition with a win this afternoon over Youngstown State. The Flames defeated the Penguins 4-3 at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts. Prior to the matches, UIC recognized seniors Alexander Raa and Alan Reifer.
”Great team effort in both singles and doubles,” stated head coach Hans Neufeld. “With the effort that Christopher Cole has put into rehab this year, it was great to see him get the deciding match.”
UIC took three of six singles matches with Cole’s No. 5 match against Zeeshan Ismail (6-1, 5-7, 6-4) being the deciding match of the day.
Raa competed in the No. 1 spot falling to Sebastian Hagn, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. Reifer took his No. 2 match against Silviu Mistreanu, 6-1, 7-5. Despite his best effort, Isaac Lloveras was unable to come out on top in the No. 3 position in his match against Dawoud Kabli (0-6, 6-3, 6-2). Maurizio Feoli won in straight sets against Max Schmerin at No. 4, 6-4, 6-3. Eric Pontown dropped his No. 6 match to Rodrigo Campos, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2.
In doubles competition, Feoli and Carl Hedstrom teamed up to defeat Hagn and Kabli at No. 1, 8-6. Raa and Lloveras came out on top against Schmerin and Campos at No. 2 (8-2). The No. 3 match between Cole and Reifer versus Ismail and Mistreanu went unfinished.
The Flames spend the week preparing for the Horizon League Conference matches taking place in Ann Arbor, Mich. Competition begins April 25, with finals April 27 at the University of Michigan Tennis Center.
UIC 4, Youngstown State 3
1. Sebastian Hagn (YSU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
2. Alan Reifer (UIC)def. Silviu Mistreanu (YSU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Dawoud Kabli (YSU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Max Schmerin (YSU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Zeeshan Ismail (YSU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
6. Rodrigo Campos (YSU) def. Eric Pontow (UIC) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
1. Maurizio Feoli/ Carl Hedstrom (UIC) def. Sebastian Hagn/ Dawoud Kabli (YSU) 8-6
2. Alexander Raa/ Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Max Schmerin/ Rodrigo Campos (YSU) 8-2
3. Christopher Cole/ Alan Reifer (UIC) vs. Zeeshan Ismail/ Silviu Mistreanu (YSU) unfinished