April 16, 2011
MIAMISBURG, Ohio- The UIC men’s tennis team started out the match versus Wright State taking the doubles point, but unfortunately fell to the host on Saturday afternoon, 4-3.
“The Flames played well in the doubles matches,” said head coach Hans Neufeld. “We need to close out the singles with more consistency though.”
UIC (6-12, 3-3 Horizon League) took two out of three doubles matches versus Wright State. Juniors Scott Shepardson and Nate Kirk defeated Evan and Landon Neuman in a fierce battle, 9-7. Senior Luiz Gonzaga and sophomore Rahul Kamath secured the doubles point for the Flames, defeating WSU’s Michal Lyzwa and Riyad Bennoui, 9-7
The Flames dropped the first four slots to the Raiders in singles competition. Freshman Alan Reifer recorded his fifth win of the season defeating WSU’s Brian Dredge, 6-4, 4-6, 10-5. Sophomore Gautham Oroskar won his third straight match when he took down WSU’s Lyzwa in the No. 6 slot, 6-4, 6-7, 11-9
The Flames will travel tomorrow to take on host Butler, the match is set to begin at 10 a.m. The Flames have identical Horizon League record with Butler at 3-3; this is a crucial regular season conference match for seeding in next weekend Horizon League Championships in Indianapolis.
WSU 4, UIC 3
1. Jan Alafriz (WSU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC), 7-6,6-1
2. Hayden Joblin (WSU) def. Nate Kirk (UIC), 7-6, 7-6
3. Martin Arguello (WSU) def. Luiz Gonzaga (UIC), 7-5,6-7,6-3
4. Landon Neuman (WSU) def. James Li (UIC), 2-6,7-6,6-2
5. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Brian Dredge (WSU), 6-4,4-6,10-5
6. Gautham Oroskar (UIC) def. Michal Lyzwa (WSU), 6-4,6-7,11-9
1. Dredge/Lyzwa (WSU) def. Robare/Raa (UIC), 8-5
2. Shepardson/Kirk (UIC) def. E. Neuman/L. Neuman (WSU), 9-7
3. Gonzaga/Kamath (UIC) def. Bennoui/Lyzwa (WSU0, 9-7