Men's Tennis Falls To Cleveland State
April 14, 2012
CHICAGO - The UIC men's tennis team (2-14/0-5 HL) fell in a 6-1 decision to Horizon League foe Cleveland State (8-10/2-2 HL) on Saturday at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts.
"They came out strong in doubles," head coach Hans Neufeld said. "Our singles was solid and it came down to three tough three-set losses. Alan Reifer continues to improve with each match and he'll be moving up in the line-up."
In doubles, the Vikings took the point with wins at all three positions. Alexander Raa and Rahul Kamath went up at No. 1, but fell to Ali Shabib and Nolan Marks, 8-6. Maurizio Feoli and Alan Reifer went down at No. 2 to Yannick Goossens and Matt Ford, 8-0, while Nate Kirk and Scott Shepardson lost at No. 3 to Matt Kuelker and Jorg Van Der Vloet, 8-1.
Heading into singles, the Flames were able to come away with one win at No. 3 with Reifer's 6-2, 6-2 win over Shabib. With three of the matches going to three sets, James Li dropped to Goossens, 6-1, 5-7, 6-4, Feoli battled with Marks at No. 4 and went down 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-6 (4) and Kamath fell to Van Der Vloet, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (2), 6-2, at No. 5. Going down in straight sets, Raa lost to Kuelker, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 2, while Gautham Oroskar returned to singles but dropped to Ford, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6.
UIC comes back to the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts on Sunday to face Youngstown State at 2 p.m. (CT).
Cleveland State 6, UIC 1
1. Shabib/Marks (CSU) def. Raa/Kamath (UIC) - 8-6
2. Goossens/Ford (CSU) def. Feoli/Reifer (UIC) - 8-0
3. Kuelker/Van Der Vloet (CSU) def. Kirk/Shepardson (UIC) - 8-1
1. Yannick Goossens (CSU) def. James Li (UIC) - 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
2. Matt Kuelker (CSU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) - 6-4, 6-2
3. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Ali Shabib (CSU) - 6-2, 6-2
4. Nolan Marks (CSU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) - 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-6 (4)
5. Jorg Van Der Vloet (CSU) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) - 6-7 (3), 7-6 (2), 6-2
6. Matt Ford (CSU) def. Gautham Oroskar (UIC) - 6-2, 6-2