April 12, 2013
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - Freshman Christopher Cole captured the lone win of the day for the Flames in singles, as the UIC men's tennis team (5-13, 1-3 HL) suffered a 6-1 loss Friday to Youngstown State at the Boardman Tennis Center.
The Flames shuffled their regular doubles pairings and positions to start off competition, but were only able to come away with one win, as Isaac Lloveras and Rahul Kamath teamed up for the first time this season to defeat Rodrigo Campos and Max Schmerin, 8-6, at No. 2.
Maurizio Feoli and Alan Reifer moved to the No. 1 position for just the second time, but dropped an 8-2 decision to Sebastian Hagn and Dawoud Kabli, while Christopher Cole and Gautham Oroskar fell as a doubles pairing for the first time to Silviu Mistreanu and Felipe Rosa, 9-8, at No. 3.
UIC had three singles matches go to three sets, but Cole was the only one to finish on the winning end as he fell in his first set to Kabli at No. 3 before managing to come back in the second and third for a 4-6, 6-4, 10-5 win.
Lloveras pushed his match at No. 4 into a third set after winning the second, but fell 6-2, 6-7, 10-8 to Zeeshan Ismail, while Feoli went down in his final two sets to Campos, 4-6, 6-3, 13-11, at No. 5.
The Penguins produced three additional win in straight-set fashion. Alexander Raa was taken out at No. 1 by Mistreanu, 6-4, 6-1, Reifer lost a 7-5, 6-1 final to Hagn at No. 2 and Kamath was bested by Schmerin, 7-5, 6-0, at No. 6.
The Flames return to competition at 3 p.m. (CT) Saturday, when they go head-to-head with Cleveland State at the Paramount Tennis Club in Westlake, Ohio.
YSU 6, UIC 1
1. Silviu Mistreanu (YSU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-4, 6-1
2. Sebastian Hagn (YSU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 7-5, 6-1
3. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Dawoud Kabli (YSU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
4. Zeeshan Ismail (YSU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-2, 6-7, 10-8
5. Rodrigo Campos (YSU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 4-6, 6-3, 13-11
6. Max Schmerin (YSU) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 7-5, 6-0
1. Sebastian Hagn/Dawoud Kabli (YSU) def. Maurizio Feoli/Alan Reifer (UIC) 8-2
2. Isaac Lloveras/Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Rodrigo Campos/Max Schmerin (YSU) 8-6
3. Silviu Mistreanu/Felipe Rosa (YSU) def. Christopher Cole/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) 9-8