April 8, 2014
CHICAGO- The UIC men’s tennis team (3-9, 0-3 HL) fell to Northern Illinois 4-0 at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts Tuesday evening. The match was only played to four points, and doubles was not needed.
“Northern Illinois is the top team in the MAC this year,” stated head coach Hans Neufeld. “We came out with good energy but were unable to close out the sets. It was a good effort by the team that we will continue to build on.”
In singles competition, Alexander Raa competed in the No. 2 position, but fell to Frederic Cadieux, 6-4, 6-4. Carl Hedstrom dropped in straight sets to Jovan Zeljkovic, 7-5, 6-5 at No. 3. Despite his best effort, Maurizio Feoli was unable to come out on top in his No. 5 match with Matt Lynch (7-6, 6-4). Christopher Cole competed at No. 6, but was defeated by Carlos Manzanas, 6-2, 4-0. The No. 1 match between Alan Reifer and Axel Lagerlof, and the No. 4 match with Isaac Lloveras and Simon Formont both went unfinished.
The Flames return to the courts Sunday (April 13) when they travel to face Horizon League foe, Detroit. Competition is set to get underway at 6 p.m. (CT) at the Franklin Athletic Club.
Northern Illinois 4, UIC 0
- Axel Lagerlof (NIU) vs. Alan Reifer (UIC) unfinished
- Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-4, 6-4
- Jovan Zeljkovic (NIC) def. Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 7-5, 6-5
- Simon Formont (NIU) vs. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) unfinished
- Matt Lynch (NIU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 7-6, 6-4
- Carlos Manzanas (NIU) def. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-2, 4-0
- Simon Formont/Frederic Cadieux (NIU) vs. Maurizio Feoli/Carl Hedstrom (UIC) unfinished
- Jovan Zeljkovic/Matt Lynch (NIU) vs. Alexander Raa/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) unfinished
- Axel Lagerlof/Carlos Manzanas (NIU) vs. Nate Campanile/Alan Reifer (UIC) unfinished