April 6, 2013
CHICAGO - After enduring rain delays at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts for most of the match Saturday, the UIC men's tennis team (5-12, 1-2 HL) moved to the indoor courts at the Hinsdale Racquet Club in Hinsdale, Ill., to finish singles and come away with its first Horizon League win of the season in a 4-3 defeat of Detroit. Before the match, the Flames honored their seniors, Rahul Kamath and Gautham Oroskar.
"It was a great team effort," head coach Hans Neufeld said. "(Maurizio) Feoli played an error-free third set after moving indoors to clinch the team win."
UIC came out sting in doubles and was able to capture wins at No. 2 and 3 for the first point of the match. Oroskar and Kamath combined to take down Chris Cheung and Rafael Orantes, 8-6, at No. 3, while Alan Reifer and Maurizio Feoli were taken to the tiebreaker by Pablo Nunez and Jay Joshi before pulling away for a 9-7 (10-8) win.
The Titans took one of the doubles matches, as Alex Latosinsky and Mike Basha defeated Alexander Raa and Isaac Lloveras, 8-3, at No. 1.
The Flames put up a fight in singles to hold off Detroit in three matches to secure the win, with Reifer, Christopher Cole and Feoli taking their respective matches.
Reifer faced Latosinsky at No. 2 and was able to take a 7-6 (7), 6-1 win after the tiebreaker in the first set, while Cole took his first set, 6-2, at No. 3 and was up 3-0 in the second before retiring Pablo Nunez.
The final point was decided in a three-set match at No. 5, where Feoli came back from being down in the first set to take a 5-7, 7-5, 6-3 win over Cheung.
Raa also had his match go to three sets, as he came back in the second at No. 1 before falling 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 to Basha. Lloveras was taken out at No. 4 by Cesar Escobar Serrano, 6-1, 7-6 (7) after a second-set tiebreak, while Kamath dropped a 6-2, 6-4 decision to Orantes at No. 6.
The Flames make a quick turnaround and prepare for a three-match week, as they take on Chicago at 4 p.m. (CT) Wednesday at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts, then head to Cleveland, Ohio, to face Cleveland State at 2 p.m. Saturday, April 13, and make their last stop in Youngstown, Ohio, to compete against Youngstown State Sunday, April 14.
UIC 4, Detroit 3
1. Mike Basha (DETROIT) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Alex Latosinsky (DETROIT) 7-6 (7), 6-1
3. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Pablo Nunez (DETROIT) 6-2, 3-0 ret.
4. Cesar Escobar Serrano (DETROIT) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-1, 7-6 (7)
5. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Chris Cheung (DETROIT) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
6. Rafael Orantes (DETROIT) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6, 4, 1, 5
1. Alex Latosinsky/Mike Basha (DETROIT) def. Alexander Raa/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 8-3
2. Alan Reifer/Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Pablo Nunez/Jay Joshi (DETROIT) 9-7 (10-8)
3. Gautham Oroskar/Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Chris Cheung/Rafael Orantes (DETROIT) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2