April 3, 2013
HINSDALE, Ill. - Junior Alan Reifer pulled away from his opponent to capture a win at No. 2 singles, as the UIC men's tennis team (4-12, 0-2 HL) dropped a 6-1 decision versus No. 65 SMU Wednesday at the Hinsdale Racquet Club.
"We competed well today from top to bottom," head coach Hans Neufeld said. "Alan (Reifer) played a great match to earn a hard fourth victory."
The Mustangs held the advantage through doubles after winning at all three positions. Alexander Raa and Isaac Lloveras suffered an 8-5 loss at No. 1 to Arturs Kazijevs and Mischa Nowicki, while Reifer and Gautham Oroskar fell at No. 2 to Gaston Cuadrant and Alex Sanders, 8-2, and Christopher Cole and Rahul Kamath were bested by Pablo Perez-Esnaola and Nate Lammons, 8-6, at No. 3.
In singles, Reifer claimed the lone win of the day for the Flames as he took out Perez-Esnaola at No. 2 in a three-set 7-6 (4), 1-6, 11-9 win.
Raa came in at No. 1 and was defeated by Kazijevs, 7-5, 6-4. With their matches ending in 6-4, 6-1 finals, Lloveras fell to Cuadranti at No. 3 and Cole went down at No. 4 to Sanders.
In the final two matches, Maurizio Feoli was edged by Eduardo Razzeto, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 5 and Kamath dropped a 7-6, 6-2 decision to Lammons at No. 6.
The Flames return to competition Saturday, when they host Detroit at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts beginning at 2 p.m. (CT).
SMU 4, UIC 1
1. Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 7-5, 6-4
2. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Pablo Perez-Esnaola (SMU) 7-6 (4), 1-6, 11-9
3. Gaston Cuadranti (SMU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-4, 6-1
4. Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Eduardo Razzeto (SMU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 7-6, 6-2
1. Arturs Kazijevs/Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Alexander Raa/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 8-5
2. Gaston Cuadranti/Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Alan Reifer/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) 8-2
3. Pablo Perez-Esnaola/Nate Lammons (SMU) def. Christopher Cole/Rahul Kamath (UIC) 8-6