March 30, 2013
CHICAGO - Senior Rahul Kamath captured wins in doubles and singles for the second-consecutive weekend, as the UIC men's tennis team (4-11, 0-2 HL) competed at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts for the first time this season and dropped a 6-1 decision against Green Bay.
"We had our chances and need to improve controlling the momentum of the match," said head coach Hans Neufeld. "Rahul (Kamath) and Gautham (Oroskar) both had a great day competing."
Despite losing the doubles point, the Flames were able to produce a win at No. 3 from Kamath and Gautham Oroskar, as the duo combined for the first time this season and came away with an 8-5 win over Michael Tenzer and Joey Leto.
Alexander Raa and Isaac Lloveras extended their match with Erik Finkenbrink and Craig Cox at No. 1, but ultimately fell 9-7, while Alan Reifer and Christopher Cole suffered an 8-1 loss to Howard Scott and Michael Tebon at No. 2.
In singles, Kamath garnered the lone win for UIC, as the Phoenix came away with wins at No. 1-5. Kamath was able to come back from the loss of his first set to defeat Leto, 4-6, 6-4, 10-8, at No. 6.
Raa took his match at No. 1 to three sets with Tenzer before falling 2-6, 6-3, 6-1. At No. 2, Reifer had his second set go to the tiebreaker but was taken out by Finkenbrink, 6-4, 7-6 (3).
Cole was blanked at No. 3 by Cox, 6-0, 6-0, while Lloveras dropped a 6-2, 6-4 decision to Scott at No. 4 and Maurizio Feoli went down at No. 5 to Rowan Isaaks, 6-0, 6-3.
Next up for the Flames is a match on Wednesday, April 3, when they return to the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts to host Southern Methodist at 10:30 a.m. (CT).
UWGB 6, UIC 1
1. Michael Tenzer (UWGB) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Erik Finkenbrink (UWGB) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
3. Craig Cox (UWGB) def. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Howard Scott (UWGB) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Rowan Isaaks (UWGB) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 6-0, 6-3
6. Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Joey Leto (UWGB) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
1. Erik Finkenbrink/Craig Cox (UWGB) def. Alexander Raa/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 9-7
2. Howard Scott/Michael Tebon (UWGB) def. Alan Reifer/Christopher Cole (UIC) 8-1
3. Gautham Oroskar/Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Michael Tenzer/Joey Leto (UWGB) 8-5