March 23, 2013
SPRINGBORO, Ohio - Senior Rahul Kamath and freshman Christopher Cole went undefeated through doubles and singles play, as the UIC men's tennis team (4-10, 0-1 HL) suffered a 4-3 loss to Wright State in its first Horizon League match of the season Saturday at South Regency Tennis Center. Redshirt freshman Isaac Lloveras also captured a singles victory for the Flames.
"We played well but lost a tough road match," head coach Hans Neufeld said. "Everyone showed great energy, and Cole and Kamath had a nice with at No. 3 doubles."
UIC was challenged from the beginning, as the three doubles matches were all decided by 8-6 finals. The Raiders came away with the first point after taking the first two matches, but Kamath and Cole were able to come out on top of Evan Neuman and Myles Harris for the win at No. 3 to stay undefeated as a doubles pairing this season.
Alexander Raa and Isaac Lloveras combined at No. 1 and challenged Hayden Joblin and Jamison Clark before falling 8-6, as Maurizio Feoli and Alan Reifer went down 8-6 to Lauri Makikalli and Michal Lyzwa at No. 2.
The Flames were able to collect three straight-set singles wins over Wright State from Kamath, Lloveras and Cole. Kamath was able to come away with the first point after taking out Dan Hyman, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 6, while Lloveras took a 7-6 (5), 6-2 win over Lyzwa at No. 4 and Cole won a 6-4, 6-4 decision against Ricardo Pineda at No. 3 to both improve to 2-0 at the positions.
Raa had a tough first set at No. 1 with Joblin, ultimately falling 7-6 (8-6), 7-5 after the tiebreaker. Reifer was faced with the same situation in his second set at No. 2, where he fell in a 6-3, 7-6 (5) final to Makikalli. The final win for the Raiders came at No. 5, as Clark defeated Feoli, 6-4, 6-2.
The Flames enter into a home stretch beginning Saturday, March 30, as they host Green Bay at 2 p.m. (CT) at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts, weather permitting.
Wright State 4, UIC 3
1. Hayden Joblin (WSU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 7-6 (8-6), 7-5
2. Lauri Makikalli (WSU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
3. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Ricardo Pineda (WSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Michal Lyzwa (WSU) 7-6 (5), 6-2
5. Jamison Clark (WSU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Dan Hyman (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2, 1, 4, 3
1. Hayden Joblin/Jamison Clark (WSU) def. Alexander Raa/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 8-6
2. Lauri Makikalli/Michal Lyzwa (WSU) def. Maurizio Feoli/Alan Reifer (UIC) 8-6
3. Rahul Kamath/Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Evan Neuman/Myles Harris (WSU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3