March 16, 2013
HINSDALE, Ill. - The UIC men's tennis team (4-9) was able to put forth strong performances Saturday night to come out on top of Olivet Nazarene, 7-0, at the Hinsdale Racquet Club. The Flames improved to 2-2 this season when competing on their home courts.
"It was a good overall team effort in both singles and doubles," head coach Hans Neufeld said.
UIC came out in doubles to take a pair of quick wins at No. 2 and 3. Alan Reifer and Maurizio Feoli took out Camilo Giraldo and Peter Jensen, 8-1, at No. 2, with Christopher Cole and Rahul Kamath combining for the first time this season to take an 8-4 win over Josue Sanchez and Seth Perry at No. 3.
Alexander Raa and Isaac Lloveras were in a close match with Julian Kurz and Diego Gonsalvez at No. 1, but went unfinished after the doubles point was secured.
Into singles, the Flames captured four straight-set matches and won at two positions after retiring their opponents due to injury.
Raa was up 5-1 in his first set at No. 1 before Kurz bowed out from injury, while Reifer took the first set at No. 2 and was into the second before Gonsalvez went down.
After taking close first sets, Cole took down Giraldo, 7-5, 6-4, at No. 3 and Lloveras came in at No. 4 to defeat Sanchez, 7-5, 6-1.
Feoli and Kamath made quick work on their opponents after shutting them down in the second sets. Feoli came away with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Jensen at No. 5, as Kamath claimed No. 6 with a 6-1, 6-0 victory versus Perry.
The Flames enter into Horizon League play on Saturday, March 23, when they head to Dayton, Ohio, to compete against Wright State at 2 p.m. (CT) at the WSU Tennis Courts/SRTC.
UIC 7, Olivet Nazarene 0
1. Alexander Raa (UIC) def. Julian Kurz (ONU) 5-1 ret.
2. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Diego Gonsalvez (ONU) 6-3, 2-0 ret.
3. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Camilo Giraldo (ONU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Josue Sanchez (ONU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Peter Jensen (ONU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Seth Perry (ONU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Alexander Raa/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Julian Kurz/Diego Gonsalvez (ONU) 6-5 unfinished
2. Alan Reifer/Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Camilo Giraldo/Peter Jensen (ONU) 8-1
3. Christopher Cole/Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Josue Sanchez/Seth Perry (ONU) 8-4