March 9, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill.- The UIC men’s tennis team (3-5) faced off at Northwestern on Sunday evening at the Lakeside Athletic Facilities in Evanston, Ill. The Flames fell to the Wildcats 4-0.
In singles, Alexander Raa faced off against Sam Shropshire at No. 1, but the match went unfinished. Senior Alan Reifer battled with Strong Kirchheimer in the No. 2 position, with their match ending unfinished.
Carl Hedstrom competed at No. 3, falling to Mihir Kumar, 6-0, 6-3. Isaac Lloveras’ match went unfinished at No. 4 with Fedor Baev. Despite his best effort, Maurizio Feoli dropped his No. 5 match to Alex Pasareanu, 6-2, 6-0. Nicolas Aguirre dropped his No. 6 match to Alp Horoz in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0.
Through doubles matches, Hedstrom teamed up with Feoli at No. 1, but were down by Horoz and Kumar, 8-5. Nate Campanile and Raa joined forces at No. 3, ultimately falling to Baev and Raleigh Smith, 8-0. At No. 2 doubles, Reifer and Lloveras faced off against Shropshire and Konrad Zieba, with the match going unfinished.
The Flames return to the courts in two weeks when they travel to Valparaiso, Ind. to face Valparaiso at The Courts of NWI on Saturday, March 22 at 2 p.m. (CT).
1. #85 Sam Shropshire (NU) vs. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-6, unfinished
2. Strong Kirchheimer (NU) vs. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-3, 3-1, unfinished
3. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 6-0, 6-3
4. Fedor Baev (NU) vs. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
5. Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Alp Horoz (NU) def. Nicolas Aguirre (UIC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Alp Horoz/Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Carl Hedstrom/Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 8-5
2. Sam Shropshire/Konrad Zieba (NU) vs. Alan Reifer/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 5-5, unfinished
3. Fedor Baev/Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Alexander Raa/Nate Campanile (UIC) 8-0