March 9, 2013
HINSDALE, Ill. - Junior Alexander Raa came away with a win at No. 1 singles, as the UIC men's tennis team (3-9) fell to Southern Illinois, 6-1, Saturday evening at the Hinsdale Racquet Club. With the singles win, Raa improved to 3-2 at the No. 1 position in the dual season.
"(Alexander) Raa played a solid match at No. 1," head coach Hans Neufeld said. "(Christopher) Cole battled in a tough match and continues to improve."
The Salukis took the doubles point after wins at No. 1 and 2. Raa and Rahul Kamath fell to Brandon Florez and Martijn Admiral, 8-2, at No. 1, while Alan Reifer and Christopher Cole went down at No. 2 to Badr Cherradi and Jonny Rigby, 8-2.
Before having the match go unfinished, Isaac Lloveras and Gautham Oroskar had a 7-3 lead on Jorge Cavero and Szymon Opieczonek at No. 3.
Raa took the lone win of the day for the Flames, as Southern Illinois came away with five singles wins. Raa defeated Florez at No. 1, 6-4, 6-3, for his sixth win of the dual season.
Reifer fell at No. 2 to Cherradi, 6-3, 6-2, and Lloveras suffered a 6-3, 6-2 loss at No. 3 to Cavero. Cole put up a fight with Rafael Cuadrillero at No. 4 before dropping a 6-3, 6-7 (13-11) decision, while Maurizio Feoli lost to Rigby, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 5 and Kamath was edged by Admiral, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 6.
The Flames host their second-consecutive home match on Saturday, March 16, when they face Olivet Nazarene at 6 p.m. (CT) at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts, weather permitting.
Southern Illinois 6, UIC 1
1. Alexander Raa (UIC) def. Brandon Florez (SIU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Badr Cherradi (SIU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jorge Cavero (SIU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) def. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-3, 6-7 (13-11)
5. Jonny Rigby (SIU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Martijn Admiral (SIU) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4
1. Brandon Florez/Martijn Admiral (SIU) def. Alexander Raa/Rahul Kamath (UIC) 8-2
2. Badr Cherradi/Jonny Rigby (SIU) def. Alan Reifer/Christopher Cole (UIC) 8-2
3. Isaac Lloveras/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) vs. Jorge Cavero/Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) 7-3, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 2