March 2, 2014
PEORIA, Ill.- The UIC men’s tennis team (3-4) extended their win streak to three when the Flames downed Bradley on Sunday, 4-3, at the Clubs at River City-North.
“There was a strong doubles effort on all courts,” stated head coach Hans Neufeld. “Isaac [Lloveras] came back after being down 5-3 in the third to pull out the team match.”
Alexander Raa started singles competition strong at No. 1 when he defeated Hamish Weerasinghe, 6-1, 6-2. Alan Reifer fell to Arthur Romanet in straight sets at No. 2, 6-1, 6-1. At No. 3, Carl Hedstrom was downed by Nico Rakitin, 7-5, 6-4.
Isaac Lloveras was victorious over Daniel Tiboldi at No. 4, 6-2, 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (7-4). Christopher Cole faced Ashton Kalhorn at No. 5, but was unable to come out on top when he lost, 6-3, 6-2. Eric Pontow finished strong at No. 6 against Dan Rodefeld, 6-4, 6-2.
Maurizio Feoli teamed up with Carl Hedstrom to down Rakitin and Weerasinghe at No. 1, 8-3. Lloveras and Reifer joined forces at No. 2 to overcome Justin Abrams and Romanet, 9-7. The match between Nate Campanile and Raa against Kalhorn and Tiboldi at No. 3 went unfinished.
The Flames return to the courts next Sunday (March 9) when they travel to Evanston to face Northwestern at the Lakeside Athletic Facilities. Competition begins at 7:30 p.m. (CT).
Illinois-Chicago Flames 4, Bradley Braves 3
1. Alexander Raa (UIC) def. Hamish Weerasinghe (BRAD) 6-1, 6-2
2. Arthur Romanet (BRAD) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Nico Rakitin (BRAD) def. Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 7-5, 6-4
4. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Daniel Tiboldi (BRAD) 6-2, 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (7-4)
5. Ashton Kalhorn (BRAD) def. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Eric Pontow (UIC) def. Dan Rodefeld (BRAD) 6-4, 6-2
1. Maurizio Feoli/Carl Hedstrom (UIC) def. Nico Rakitin/Hamish Weerasinghe (BRAD) 8-3
2. Isaac Lloveras/Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Justin Abrams/Arthur Romanet (BRAD) 9-7
3. Nate Campanile/Alexander Raa (UIC) vs. Ashton Kalhorn/Daniel Tiboldi (BRAD) no result
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,1,6,5,3,4)