Feb. 23, 2014
CHICAGO- The UIC men’s tennis team (2-4), collected their second win of the season Saturday (Feb. 22) when they faced Chicago at the Five Seasons Sports Club in Burr Ridge, Ill.
“We had a strong doubles effort by all three teams, setting the tone for singles play,” stated head coach Hans Neufeld.
Alexander Raa started singles competition strong in the No. 1 position defeating Sven Kranz, 6-2, 6-3. Carl Hedstrom competed in the No. 2 spot, but fell short to Deepak Sabada, 6-2, 7-6 (8-6).
Isaac Lloveras beat Brian Sun at No. 3 in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. Christopher Cole was strong in the No. 4 position defeating Ankur Bhargava, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.
At No. 5, Eric Pontow pushed his match to three, but ultimately fell short to Max Hawkins 2-6, 6-4, 6-1. Nicolas Aguirre was unable to come away with a win in the No. 6 position, also pushing his match with Gordon Zhang to three but lost, 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7).
The Flames went 2-1 during doubles play. Cole and Lloveras teamed up at No. 2 to defeat Hawkins and Bhargava, 8-6. Raa and Nate Campanile joined forces at No. 3 to down Zsolt Szabo and Sun, 8-6. Hedstrom and Maurizio Feoli competed in the No. 1 spot, but were unable to come out on top falling to Sabada and Kranz, 8-7.
UIC will compete next at Bradley Sunday, March 2 at the Clubs at River City-North. Competition is set to get underway at 5 p.m. (CT)
UIC 4, Chicago 3
1. Alexander Raa (UIC) def.Sven Kranz (UCM) 6-2, 6-3
2. Deepak Sabada (UCM) def. Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Brian Sun (UCM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Ankur Bhargava (UCM) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Max Hawkins (UCM) def. Eric Pontow (UIC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Gordon Zhang (UCM) def. Nicolas Aguirre (UIC) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Deepak Sabada/Sven Kranz (UCM) def. Carl Hedstrom/Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 8-7
2. Christopher Cole/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Max Hawkins/Ankur Bhargavar (UCM) 8-6
3. Alexander Raa/Nate Campanile (UIC) def. Zsolt Szabo/Brian Sun (UCM) 8-6