Feb. 23, 2013
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The UIC men's tennis team (3-8) secured a 6-1 victory over IPFW after capturing doubles and five singles matches Saturday at Pine Ridge Racquet and Fitness Club.
"We bounced back well from last week," head coach Hans Neufeld said. "It was a good effort in doubles and kept improving into the singles."
The Flames came up with the doubles point after taking wins at the No. 2 and 3 positions. Alan Reifer and Christopher Cole combined at No. 2 to defeat Connor Andrews and Martin Muadi, 8-6, as Maurizio Feoli and Gautham Oroskar produced an 8-5 win over Andres Cobos and Jonathan Raa at No. 3. Alexander Raa and Rahul Kamath were unable to outlast Daniel Kang and Joao Freitas at No. 1, falling 8-5.
Carrying momentum into singles, UIC won in straight sets in four matches and took a fifth in three. Raa defeated Kang at No. 1, 6-4, 6-0, Isaac Lloveras took the win at No. 3 over Andrews, 6-0, 6-2, and Cole recorded a 6-4, 6-3 win against J. Raa at No. 4. Feoli brought in a 6-4, 7-5 win at No. 5 over Freitas, with Kamath coming out on top of a three-set match with Muadi at No. 6, 6-7, 6-4, 10-8. Reifer battled with Cobos at No. 2, but fell 7-5, 7-5.
The Flames take a short break from competition before hosting Southern Illinois at the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts Saturday, March 9, at 6 p.m. (CT).
UIC 6, IPFW 1
1. Alexander Raa (UIC) def. Daniel Kang (IPFW) 6-4, 6-0
2. Andres Cobos (IPFW) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 7-5, 7-5
3. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Connor Andrews (IPFW) 6-0, 6-2
4. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Jonathan Raa (IPFW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Joao Freitas (IPFW) 6-4, 7-5
6. Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Martin Muadi (IPFW) 6-7, 6-4, 10-8
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 1, 5, 2, 6
1. Daniel Kang/Joao Freitas (IPFW) def. Alexander Raa/Rahul Kamath (UIC) 8-5
2. Alan Reifer/Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Connor Andrews/Martin Muadi (IPFW) 8-6
3. Maurizio Feoli/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) def. Andres Cobos/Jonathan Raa (IPFW) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2