Feb. 17, 2013
EVANSTON, Ill. - On its second day of competition this weekend, the UIC men's tennis team (2-8) was faced with tough competition against No. 33 Northwestern at Combe Tennis Center Sunday evening, ultimately suffering a 4-0 loss to its nationally-ranked opponent after three singles matches went unfinished.
The Wildcats stole the first point in doubles after taking wins at No. 1 and 2. Alexander Raa and Rahul Kamath fell at No. 1, 8-1, to Sidarth Balaji and Raleigh Smith, and Alan Reifer and Christopher Cole went down at No. 2, 8-3, against Spencer Wolf and Chris Jackman. Isaac Lloveras and Gautham Oroskar had their match at No. 3 go unfinished.
In singles, UIC had three matches go unfinished after Northwestern clinched the 4-0 win. Lloveras, Raa and Cole fell in straight sets to their respective opponents.
Lloveras tried to make a push in his match with Balaji at No. 3, taking the first set to the tiebreaker before falling, 7-6 (6), 6-1. Raa dropped repeat sets to Smith at No. 1, 6-1, 6-1, as Cole was taken out by Mihir Kumar at No. 4, 6-1, 6-2.
Maurizio Feoli was able to attempt a comeback in his second set with Alex Pasareanu at No. 5, and Reifer showed effort in his second with No. 114 Wolf at No. 2, but both matches went unfinished.
The Flames are next faced with IPFW on Saturday, Feb. 23, as competition is set to get underway at 1 p.m. (CT) in Fort Wayne, Ind., at Pine Ridge Racquet and Fitness Club.
Northwestern 4, UIC 0
1. Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 114 Spencer Wolf (NU) vs. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-2, 4-4 unfinished
3. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 7-6 (6), 6-1
4. Mihir Kumar (NU) def. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alex Pasareanu (NU) vs. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 6-3, 3-5 unfinished
6. Chris Jackman (NU) vs. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 6-2, 5-3 unfinished
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3
1. Sidarth Balaji/Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Alexander Raa/Rahul Kamath (UIC) 8-1
2. Spencer Wolf/Chris Jackman (NU) def. Alan Reifer/Christopher Cole (UIC) 8-3
3. Alex Pasareanu/Mihir Kumar (NU) vs. Isaac Lloveras/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) 7-3 unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 2