Feb. 9, 2013
HINSDALE, Ill. – Alexander Raa, Christopher Cole and Maurizio Feoli captured their respective singles matches on Saturday, as the UIC men’s tennis team (2-6) was edged by Bradley, 4-3, at the Hinsdale Racquet Club.
“We need to improve our consistency in doubles, but we competed well in singles,” head coach Hans Neufeld said.
The Braves took the first point in doubles with a pair of wins. Raa and Rahul Kamath fell at No. 1, 8-1, and Feoli and Isaac Lloveras went down at No. 3, 8-2, as Cole and Alan Reifer had their match go unfinished at No. 2 after holding the edge at 5-3.
UIC and Bradley split in singles, with each team coming away with three wins. Raa was positioned at No. 1 and took his match to three sets before taking a 6-3, 2-6, 6-1 win against Hamish Weerasinghe. Cole’s match at No. 4 also went to three sets, as he came back to win 6-4, 3-6, 10-7 against Ashton Kalhorn. The Flames final tally came as Feoli defeated Justin Abrams at No. 5 in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2.
Lloveras (No. 2) and Kamath (No. 6) each had their first sets go to the tiebreaker, but eventually fell to their respective opponents in the second sets. At No. 3, Reifer was unable to outlast his opponent, falling 6-4, 6-2.
The Flames are back on the road next weekend, with matches against Illinois State at 2:30 p.m. (CT) in Normal, Ill., on Saturday and versus Northwestern at 7:30 p.m. (CT) in Evanston, Ill., on Sunday.
Bradley 4, UIC 3
1. Alexander Raa (UIC) def. Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
2. Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 7-6 (5), 6-2
3. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Ashton Kalhorn (BU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-7
5. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Justin Abrams (BU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Michael Davis (BU) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 7-6 (4), 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3, 1, 2, 4
1. Juan Diego Cuadrado/Justin Abrams (BU) def. Alexander Raa/Rahul Kamath (UIC) 8-1
2. Christopher Cole/Alan Reifer (UIC) vs. Hamish Weerasinghe/Ashton Kalhorn (BU) 5-3, unfinished
3. Arthur Romanet/Michael Davis (BU) def. Maurizio Feoli/Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3