Feb. 3, 2013
ROCKFORD, Ill. – Rahul Kamath came away with a win in singles and the Flames captured the doubles point, but it was not enough, as the UIC men’s tennis team (2-5) was edged by Northern Illinois, 4-2, on Sunday at Boylan Tennis Center.
The doubles point was taken after wins at No. 1 and No. 2. Alexander Raa and Kamath came out on top of Dor Amir and Frederic Cadieux at No. 1, 8-5, as Christopher Cole and Alan Reifer barely passed by Axel Lagerlof and Simon Formont at No. 2, 8-7.
Ahead 7-5 versus Max Phillips and Jovan Zeljkovic, Isaac Lloveras and Gautham Oroskar had their match at No. 3 go unfinished.
Kamath had the lone singles win for the Flames, as he returned from a second-set loss to take a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 win at No. 6 over Zeljkovic. Raa had his match also go to three sets after taking the first, but fell 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 to Cadieux at No. 2.
Lloveras was unable to take No. 1 against Lagerlof, ending the match with a 6-4, 6-0 final. Reifer contended at No. 3 against Amir, but went down 6-3, 6-4, while Cole’s match at No. 4 went unfinished.
Maurizio Feoli returned to singles for the first time since facing Chicago State on Jan. 19. He was positioned at No. 5, but dropped a 6-3, 6-3 decision to Formont, marking his first loss of the dual season.
The Flames return to their indoor courts at the Hinsdale Racquet Club in Hinsdale, Ill., on Saturday to host Bradley in a non-conference match beginning at 6 p.m. (CT).
NIU 4, UIC 2
1. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-4, 6-0
2. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Max Phillips (NIU) vs. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-4, 6-6 unfinished
5. Simon Formont (NIU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-4. 2-6, 6-3
1. Alexander Raa/Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Dor Amir/Frederic Cadieux (NIU) 8-5
2. Christopher Cole/Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Axel Lagerlof/Simon Formont (NIU) 8-7
3. Isaac Lloveras/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) vs. Max Phillips/Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 7-5 unfinished