Feb. 2, 2013
MADISON, Wis. - The UIC men's tennis team (2-4) was able to go 1-1 on Saturday while taking on Wisconsin and UW-Whitewater in a doubleheader at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium. The Flames fell to Wisconsin, 4-0, in their first match, before coming back in their second to defeat UW-Whitewater, 4-3.
"The freshmen (Lloveras and Cole) both competed well in singles against a good Big Ten team," head coach Hans Neufeld said.
In competition against the Badgers, UIC was unable to take a point, while four matches went unfinished. Into doubles, Christopher Cole and Alexander Raa fell to Billy Bertha and Oskar Wikberg at No. 1, 8-3, with Rahul Kamath and Alan Reifer going down at No. 2 to Petr Satral and Alexander Kostanov, 8-2.
Isaac Lloveras and Gautham Oroskar were holding a 7-2 lead over Jakhongir Jalalov and Alexander Kostanov at No. 3, but the match went unfinished.
Through singles play, Wisconsin took three matches to secure the win. Raa could not keep up with Wikberg at No. 2, dropping a 6-2, 6-0 decision. At No. 3, Satral bested Reifer in a 6-0, 6-1 final, as Oroskar was defeated, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6 by Kokorev. Lloveras (No. 1), Cole (No. 4) and Kamath (No. 5) each had their matches go unfinished.
"UW-Whitewater is ranked No. 8 nationally in Division III and I knew they would be competitive," Neufeld added. "With Maurizio Feoli out of singles, the team battled well for the win. The doubles played solid for the deciding point and Whitewater beat MAC champion NIU in doubles on Friday, so I knew we had to come out strong to beat them."
Against UW-Whitewater, the first point was decided after UIC took a pair of wins. Kamath and Raa combined at No. 2 to defeat the team of Andrew Bayliss and Andy McGlashen, 8-6, as Lloveras and Oroskar's match at No. 3 against Byron Balkin and Kevin Friend also ended with an 8-6 win.
UIC took three wins in singles to secure the win, with Raa, Reifer and Cole coming out victorious in their respective matches. Raa came out on top of a 6-4, 6-2 match against Balkin at No. 2, while Reifer went to three sets with McGlashen at No. 3 and took a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 final. Cole's match at No. 4 against Bayliss ended with a straight-set win, 7-5, 6-4.
Lloveras (No. 1), Kamath (No. 5) and Oroskar (No. 6) were unable to stay on top of their opponents, falling in each of their singles matches in straight sets.
The Flames make a quick turnaround and head to Rockford, Ill., to face Northern Illinois at Boylan Tennis Center beginning at 1 p.m. (CT).
Wisconsin 4, UIC 0
1. Billy Bertha (WIS) vs. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-3, 3-1, unfinished
2. Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Petr Satral (WIS) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) vs. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
5. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) vs. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
6. Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Gautham Oroskar (UIC) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6
1. Billy Bertha/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Christopher Cole/Alexander Raa (UIC) 8-3
2. Petr Satral/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Rahul Kamath/Alan Reifer (UIC) 8-2
3. Jakhongir Jalalov/Alexander Kokorev (WIS) vs. Isaac Lloveras/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) 2-7, unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1
UIC 4, UW-Whitewater 3
1. Ben Shkylar (UWW) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-2, 7-6
2. Alexander Raa (UIC) def. Byron Balkin (UWW) 6-4, 6-2
3. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Andy McGlashen (UWW) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Andrew Bayliss (UWW) 7-5, 6-4
5. Mitch Osborne (UWW) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Brian Klein (UWW) def. Gautham Oroskar (UIC) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 6, 5, 4, 1, 3
1. Ben Shkylar/Mitch Osborne (UWW) def. Maurizio Feoli/Alan Reifer (UIC) 8-3
2. Rahul Kamath/Alexander Raa (UIC) def. Andrew Bayliss/Andy McGlashen (UWW) 8-6
3. Isaac Lloveras/Gautham Oroskar (UIC) def. Byron Balkin/Kevin Friend (UWW) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3