Feb. 2, 2014
MILWAUKEE, Wisc.- The UIC men’s tennis team (0-4) put up a fight Sunday while facing Marquette at the Halfaer Tennis Stadium, but was unable to come away with the win, ultimately falling 7-0.
"We started out well in both singles and doubles but need to improve on matching intensity in crunch time," head coach Hans Neufeld stated.
Alexander Raa faced Vukasin Teofanovic in the number one position, falling 6-3, 6-1. Alan Reifer pushed his No. 2 match with Dan Mamalat to three, losing 6-1, 2-6, 6-3.
Carl Hedstrom fell to Logon Collins 6-4, 6-3 in the number three spot. Isaac Lloveras was defeated 6-5, 6-1 by Nick Dykema in the number four slot.
Eric Pontow lost in two straight to Kristiyan Trukov, 6-1, 6-1, in the number five position. Nicolas Aguirre dropped his No. 6 match to Mackenzie Stears 6-0, 6-2.
The Flames were unable to come away with a doubles win with Raa and Hedstrom dropping their No. 1 match to Teofanovic and Mamalat, 6-2. Christopher Cole and Reifer teamed up in the No. 3 position, but fell to Cameron Tehrani and Nick Dykema 6-3. The match between Lloveras and Pontow at No. 2 with Gleb Sklyr and Collins went unfinished.
The Flames next match is Saturday, Feb. 8 when UIC takes on Western Illinois at the Hinsdale Racquet Club. Competition is set to get under way at 6 p.m. (CT).
Marquette 7, UIC 0
1. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
3. Logon Collins (MU) def. Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 6-4, 6-3
4. Nick Dykema (MU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-5, 6-1
5. Kristiyan Trukov (MU) def. Eric Pontow (UIC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Mackenzie Stearns (MU) def. Nicolas Aguirre (UIC) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5, 4, 3, 2
1. Vukasin Teofanovic/Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Alexander Raa/Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 6-2
2. Gleb Sklyr/Logon Collins (MU) vs. Isaac Lloveras/Eric Pontow (UIC) unfinished
3. Cameron Tehrani/Nick Dykema (MU) def. Christopher Cole/Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3