Jan. 26, 2013
MILWAUKEE – The UIC men’s tennis team (1-3) put up a fight on Saturday while facing Marquette at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium, but was unable to come away with a win, ultimately falling 7-0.
“It was a hard fought match,” head coach Hans Neufeld said. “We need to improve our first serve percentage and dictate points better.”
Doubles started the day with Isaac Lloveras and Alan Reifer positioned at No. 1 against Vukasin Teofanovic and Dan Mamalat, where the Flames pairing fell 8-3. Rahul Kamath and Alexander Raa were up at No. 2 with Logon Collins and Cameron Tehrani, but went down 8-5. The match between Gautham Oroskar and Christopher Cole at No. 3 with David Packowitz and James Stark went unfinished.
Into singles, Reifer, Cole and Kamath made great efforts in their respective matches, going to three sets in each. After dropping the first set, Reifer came back in the second against Collins at No. 3 before ending with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 final. Collecting wins in their first sets, Cole took his match at No. 4 with Tehrani to 1-6, 6-1, 6-0, while Kamath went 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5 against Gleb Sklyr.
At No. 1, Lloveras was blanked in his first set before dropping a 6-0, 6-4 decision to Mamalat. Raa was positioned as No. 2 with Teofanovic where he fell 6-4, 7-5, as Oroskar lost at No. 6 to J. Varela Hernani, 6-3, 6-2.
The Flames are back in action next weekend, competing in three matches over two days. On Saturday, Feb. 2, UIC heads to Madison, Wis., to face Wisconsin and UW-Whitewater at noon and 5:30 p.m. (CT), respectively, before turning around on Sunday, Feb. 3, for a 1 p.m. (CT) match in Rockford, Ill., against Northern Illinois.
Marquette 7, UIC 0
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-0, 6-4
2. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-4, 7-5
3. Logon Collins (MU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Christopher Cole (UIC) 1-6, 6-1, 6-0
5. Gleb Sklyr (MU) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
6. J. Varela Hernani (MU) def. Gautham Oroskar (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 6, 2, 4, 5, 3
1. Vukasin Teofanovic/Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Isaac Lloveras/Alan Reifer (UIC) 8-3
2. Logon Collins/Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Rahul Kamath/Alexander Raa (UIC) 8-5
3. David Packowitz/James Stark (MU) vs. Gautham Oroskar/Christopher Cole (UIC) unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2