Jan. 19, 2013
HINSDALE, Ill. – The UIC men’s tennis team (1-2) had the edge on Saturday while taking on Chicago State at the Hinsdale Racquet Club. The Flames did not lose a match through doubles and singles, as they upended the Cougars, 7-0, for their first win of the season.
Coming off of a 5-2 loss to Western Michigan, UIC came out strong and took and early lead by capturing the doubles point.
Combined at No. 1, Alexander Raa and Rahul Kamath topped Mario Noboa and Sergiu Muresan, 8-5. Maurizio Feoli and Christopher Cole were able to take the No. 2 position against Jean Paul Jones and Julian Chavez, 8-6, as Alan Reifer and Gautham Oroskar nearly blanked Luis Ulloa and Rashlev Yeremia, 8-1, at No. 3.
The Flames kept the momentum going through singles, as they won all matches in straight sets. Isaac Lloveras (No. 1) and Raa (No. 2) defeated Muresan and Noboa, respectively, by 6-1, 6-1 finals. Reifer took out Chavez, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 3 position and Cole came out of a 6-2, 6-3 final at No. 4 against Yeremia.
Positioned at No. 5, Feoli took his third singles victory of the season, as he captured a 6-1, 6-0 win against Jones. Kamath rounded out singles at No. 6 with a 6-1, 6-3 defeat over Ulloa.
UIC returns to competition on Saturday, Jan. 26, with a match against Marquette in Milwaukee, Wis., at 3 p.m. (CT).
UIC 7, Chicago State 0
1. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) def. Sergiu Muresan (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Alexander Raa (UIC) def. Mario Noboa (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Alan Reifer (UIC) def. Julian Chavez (CSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Christopher Cole (UIC) def. Rashlev Yeremia (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) def. Jean Paul Jones (CSU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Luis Ulloa (CSU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Raa/Kamath (UIC) def. Noboa/Muresan (CSU) 8-5
2. Feoli/Cole (UIC) def. Jones/Chavez (CSU) 8-6
3. Reifer/Oroskar (UIC) def. Ulloa/Yeremia (CSU) 8-1