June 2, 2014
The 2013-14 academic year featured exceptional accomplishments for UIC student-athletes. Over the summer months (June 2 - August 8), UICFlames.com will rewind and look back on the Top 40 Flames' Moments from 2013-14. Each sport will be featured over ten weeks as we recap the year that was in UIC Athletics.
HL Weekly 13'-14': Men's Soccer Week 2 from WebStream Productions, Inc. on Vimeo.
Team: Men's Soccer
Moment: Flames Shutout Nationally-Ranked Gonzaga
Date: September 20, 2013
Location: Flames Field in Chicago, Ill.
UIC defeated No. 19 Gonzaga, 1-0, for its third-consecutive shutout win on the opening day of the UIC Soccer Classic. The Flames improved their record to 4-2-0 on the season following the victory of Gonzaga. UIC defeated IPFW, 4-0, two days later to claim first place at the UIC Soccer Classic, while Bob Novak, Jesus Torres, Thomas Villamil and Andrew Putna were named to the All-Tournament team.
- The win was the Flames' third of ten shutout wins on the season.
- Gonzaga was the Flames' first and only win against a nationally ranked team all season.
- The Flames ended the season with a record of 16-4-0 and a perfect regular season conference record of 7-0-0.
- The Flames went on to reach a high national ranking of No. 23 in early November.
- Andrew Putna was named the Horizon League Defensive Player of the Week following the UIC Soccer Classic and went on to win Horizon League Freshman and Goalkeeper of the Year accolades. Putna was also named to the All-League First Team and All-Freshman Team.
- Jorge Alvarez scored the lone goal for the Flames against Gonzaga, marking his third goal, and game winner, of the season. Alvarez ended the season with four goals, all of which were game-winners. He also finished the season ranked second on the team in assists with six.