Soccer Falls To Cleveland State In Horizon League Semifinals, 5-3.

Freshman Sinisa Ubiparipovic recorded a goal and an assist on Friday afternoon.
Freshman Sinisa Ubiparipovic recorded a goal and an assist on Friday afternoon.

Nov. 15, 2002

Box Score

Milwaukee, Wis. - It is often said that the most important adjustments during a sporting contest comes at halftime.

The UIC soccer team held a 2-1 lead over Cleveland State following the first half of their Horizon League semifinal contest at UW-Milwaukee's Engelmann Field on Friday afternoon.

The Vikings made the necessary changes during the intermission and scored four unanswered goals to earn the 5-3 victory over the Flames and advancing to the Horizon League championship.

UIC finishes the season at 10-8-2, while Cleveland State improves to 10-10. Cleveland State will play the winner of the other semi-final contest featuring #1 UW-Milwaukee and #5 Butler.

Cleveland State came out firing in the second half as sophomore Stephen Ademolu headed in a free kick from O.C. Haugen at the 51:06 mark for his second goal of the game, knotting the game up at 2-apiece.

The Vikings struck again less than three minutes later as Adam Musser converted a give-and-go from Joachim Walker (3 assists) to give Cleveland State the 3-2 lead, which they would not relinquish.

Ademolu and Walker were instrumental in Cleveland State's fourth goal of the contest as the pair assisted on J.R. Trandal's second goal of the season at the 74:47 mark.

Cleveland State tacked on their final goal of the game with 10 minutes remaining when Matt Micetich headed a Walker free kick to extend the Vikings' lead to 5-2.

UIC scored the final goal of the contest when senior forward Jake Stasko pounded home a Dennis King rebound with 41 seconds remaining in the contest for the final score of 5-3.

Ademolu got things going for Cleveland State early in the first half as he converted a hard angle shot from the right side to give the Vikings the 1-0 lead at the 4:08 mark.

UIC answered 17 seconds later as freshman Sinisa Ubiparipovic (assist) one-timed a Micah Howser pass into the upper left corner to tie the game up at one.



UIC took its only lead of the contest at the 32 minute mark when King received a beautiful drop pass from Patrick Grange from five yards out to give the Flames the 2-1 lead.