Soccer's Five-Game Unbeaten Streak Snapped By Michigan

Junior Dennis King tabbed UIC's lone goal versus Michigan.
Junior Dennis King tabbed UIC's lone goal versus Michigan.

Oct. 25, 2002

Box Score

Chicago, Ill. - The UIC men's soccer team saw its five-game unbeaten streak come to an end on Friday afternoon with a 2-1 loss to Michigan at Flames Field.

The Flames came up short on numerous opportunities to prevail in the contest, including playing with a man advantage for the final 15 minutes of the game.

UIC peppered eight shots on goal versus the Wolverines, including six in the first half, but didn't find the back of the net until Dennis King scored with one second remaining in the game.

The Wolverines, meanwhile, made the most of their chances, scoring twice on just four shots on goal. Keeper Pete Dzubay took care of the rest, making six saves in the first half, and seven total in the contest, to preserve the win.

With the loss, the Flames level their record at 7-7-2 on the year while Michigan moves to 6-6-1.

In the 11th-minute, Michigan tallied its first goal with Mike White scoring off a corner kick. Adam Bruh, who took the corner, and Kevin Taslor, who redirected the ball to White, were credited with assists on the play.

The score would stay 1-0 Wolverines into intermission, thanks in part to Dzubay slamming the door on several prime UIC scoring chances.

The turning point of the game occurred in the 75th-minute when Robert Wurth took down Flames senior Joe Morelli from behind on a breakaway. Wurth was issued a red card, putting his team a man down, but his play stopped a one-on-one scoring opportunity for UIC.

The Wolverines then picked up Wurth as substitute Kevin Robinson scored in the 77th-minute on a breakaway to Michigan up 2-0. Mychal Turpin delivered the through ball to Robinson, who was just onside streaking down the middle of the field. With the Flames defense looking for a call, Robinson was all alone and beat UIC keeper Ross Cain one-on-one.



Michigan actually had a chance to make it 3-0 in the 89th-minute when Joe Morelli took Robinson down in the box. Robinson failed to convert on the penalty kick, though, as Cain made a sprawling save to his left.

The Flames avoided being shutout for the first time this season in the 90th minute when Dennis King scored for his team-best eighth goal of the year.

UIC will play its final home game of the year on Tuesday, Oct. 29, as they welcome UW-Green Bay to Flames Field for a critical Horizon League contest at 1:00 p.m.