Soccer Beats Northern Illinois, 4-0

Freshman Roman Tulis stopped four shots in the second period on Wednesday to help the Flames stop a four-game losing streak.
Freshman Roman Tulis stopped four shots in the second period on Wednesday to help the Flames stop a four-game losing streak.

Oct. 8, 2003

Box Score

Chicago, Ill.- The UIC men's soccer team finally put an end to their four-game losing streak by downing Northern Illinois University, 4-0, at Flames Field on Wednesday afternoon.

The Flames (6-4) were led by senior Dennis King, who contributed two goals to defeat the Huskies (2-8-2), and the outstanding goalkeeping tandem of Roman Tulis and Ross Cain.

King started the scoring in the 12th minute, when John DeVae played give-and-go with King on a break to beat Huskies keeper Matt Corcoran for the early 1-0 lead.

The Flames went on the attack again in the 24th minute when King chipped a Ryan Singer pass over Corcoran's head and into the net for his second consecutive score. The two-goal effort gives King a team-high eight for the season.

UIC controlled the ball for much of the first period, with NIU unable to get possession in Flames territory. The Huskies managed just one shot in the half, and Cain stopped it for his only save of the game.

With a 2-0 lead, UIC head coach Sasha Begovic inserted Tulis at the beginning of the second half, and the freshman did not disappoint. NIU came out firing in the second period, putting up four shots-on-goal against the newcomer, but Tulis stopped everything in sight.

"We didn't play the second half with the same strength, but Roman Tulis kept us in the game," said Begovic. "He was awesome between the posts."

The Flames received some late-game scoring from sophomore Roberto Gallo and senior Nate Day. Gallo one-timed a pass from Day into the right corner of the goal in the 81st minute, and Day took a Derek Kosek kick and beat Corcoran for the fourth goal of the game with five minutes left in regulation.



Although the Flames won for the first time since September 14th and snapped a four-game skid, Begovic was not totally pleased with the effort of his team, particularly in the final half of the contest. UIC was not as careful with the ball on offense while allowing the Huskies to take 10 second-period shots.

"It was a sweet and sour victory today," said Begovic. "Sweet because we won 4-0, but sour because we didn't play strong for a full 90 minutes."

The Flames are back in action this Friday, October 10th, for a Horizon League contest against Butler at Flames Field at 3 p.m.